Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
David
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend asked me to engrave some Beech and Red Heart with the 10 Commandments in English and Hebrew. Getting the Hebrew was more difficult than I thought it would be and I hope I got it right. I think the plaque came out nice and Beech is a dream to machine. This is 12" wide by 13" high.

Text Font Label

Text Font Invitation Calligraphy Label

David

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
I’m amazed at the detail that a cnc can cut in wood . I’d expect there to be issues like tear out occasionally for some reason . I guess using the right bit helps . They look perfect Dave

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
David,

There are some Hebrew sites that have a lot of these things in posters, cards, and signs that can be bitmap traced. I also joined the hebrew Bible Society to get advice and ask questions. Don't laugh!!!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: difalkner

·
Administrator
David
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David,

There are some Hebrew sites that have a lot of these things in posters, cards, and signs that can be bitmap traced. I also joined the hebrew Bible Society to get advice and ask questions. Don't laugh!!!
Laugh? I'm impressed! I've seen quite a few of the Hebrew sites but very few that gave me what I wanted in the graphics. So I installed a Hebrew font and the Hebrew keyboard and set about to typing the first Commandment. Hebrew doesn't use many vowels and has other vowel rules in addition to being read right to left, so when I typed, 'Thou shalt have no other gods before me' it came out something like, 'When you go to the river take your goat' or something like that when I put it into Google Translate! LOL!

And I don't know if what I have is completely correct but I know someone who has studied Hebrew for about 8 years so I plan to see if she'll proof this for me.

David

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
David,

My daughter's best friend is a librarian or something like that at a Hebrew center. She knows it rather fluently. I can make contact for you if you need or want.

Don't always believe Google translate. It gives you a good idea but is often wrong or off by a letter or symbol or two.

·
Administrator
David
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Dan! Yes, figured I would.

I copied this directly from a Hebrew site our Pastor recommended and looked at probably 25-30 plaques and posters available online. Seemingly no two of those are alike, or if they are then they appeared to be copied from the same design. Some have the little accent marks like mine but many don't.

No sir, the link doesn't help much. They use the full verse rather than the typical 'few words as possible for the plaque to look good'.

It's all Greek to me... :wink:

David

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
David,

I sent Raya an email and cc'd you. Hope it was the right email address.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
sandstone

Reactions: kp91

·
Registered
Mike
3,836 Posts
David I'm guessing that you used BB ply like you did for the flag project because the colors are similar. Did you mask it for carving and what bit did you use for the lettering?

Really nice clean looking project!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts