Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change my miter saw to a Bosch 10" Glide and will want to upgrade the blade. The saw will used mostly for crosscutting hardwood pieces and some other things. What do you suggest? I see that Freud has 60 and 80 tooth Diablo blades at a reasonable cost. Infinity tools has some at more (about $80). There are Forrest, but they are really expensive. Let me know what you use/like.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
If it a new saw the blade that comes with will be good for most everything I would not buy a different one till it needed to be changed.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I agree with John. The saw will probably come with a pretty good blade. If and when you do change it remember that miter saw blades have negative hook on the teeth so that they are less inclined to lift the piece off the table so make sure that the blade is for miter saws and not some general purpose blade. I also don't recommend narrow kerf blades on a cut off saw. On an angled cut they have a tendency to wander around as they bounce off of different densities in grain.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
My compound mitre saw came with a 40 T blade. I changed it out immediately for a Freud Diablo 80 T thin kerf blade. The one that came with it did not give me a clean cut on molding and flooring. I agree with Charles about the blade wondering but just let the blade do the work and don't jam it into the wood hard you will be ok.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I am going to change my miter saw to a Bosch 10" Glide and will want to upgrade the blade. The saw will used mostly for crosscutting hardwood pieces and some other things. What do you suggest? I see that Freud has 60 and 80 tooth Diablo blades at a reasonable cost. Infinity tools has some at more (about $80). There are Forrest, but they are really expensive. Let me know what you use/like.
the blade on the glider by Bosch isn't a bad blade...
for a miter saw you teeth w/ a negative hook angle...
see the PDF's to help you figure out what you need...
FWIW... Freud blades are a very good investment, value and a most excellent blade....
CS is premium too...

here's your Freud line up...
Freud Tools

I trust that you know that Diablo Blades are entry level Freud...

All Freud blades come from the same machines in the same manufacturing plant. We make our own micrograin carbide in numerous formulations that represent various degrees of hardness. The carbide is selected depending on the intended application (the hardest is used for laminates the softest for ripping) as are the tooth angles and tooth quantity. The steel for the blade plates is all the same grade. The brazing is all the same. The key differences between the 2 main lines of Freud blades are:

The LU/LM Industrial blades have the thickest tips for the most resharpenings and are generally full kerf. We also offer the most selection of specialty blades in this line. These have the most appeal to professionals who need to get a lot of sharpenings out of a blade and to artisans who need specialty blades for their projects.

The Diablo line has blades intended for purposes like framing, siding, decking and general home improvement and is packaged and promoted in ways that appeal to contractors and DIYers.

Do professional woodworkers shop for blades at Home Depot? Probably some do and they can get excellent performance from a Diablo blade for a lot of their uses but with a shorter overall life (and lower cost) due to the tip thickness.

Why not compare a Diablo blade to Forrest? Consider this analogy: Toyota cars and Lexus cars share a lot of the same components and are made by the same company. Would you compare a Camry with a BMW?

We make a fourth line of blades (F400 Premier series) that is very similar to the WWII and is priced similarly. The difference between ours and Forrest's is that ours is made by computer controlled, super modern equipment and theirs is made by hand. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages but I leave the final verdict to the consumer.

Charles M
Freud, Inc.

Attachments

Reactions: BernieW

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Irvwin marple 50 tooth $32 at Lowes.
not the best blade for miter saws...
at 15°... not very good at all...

Marples 10-in 50-Tooth Standard Carbide Circular Saw Blade

Extra sharp oversized carbide for long-life
For use with table saws and miter saws with a 5/8-in arbor size
50 extra-sharp oversized carbide cutting teeth
Precision tensioned design helps deliver flawless cuts
ATB+R grind and 15° ATB angle for superb all-around performance
Heat-resistant, non-stick coating reduces gumming for truer, cleaner cuts
Teeth can be sharpened when needed to extend the life of your circular saw blade

Saw Blades 101... http://www.rockler.com/how-to/blades-101/
Buying a Table Saw Blade.... http://www.rockler.com/how-to/buying-table-blade/
Buying a Miter Saw Blade... http://www.rockler.com/how-to/buying-miter-blade/

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
I've kept the stock blade on my Bosch slider. Works fine, especially after I learned to start the cut near the back of the piece and pull forward, then push back for the full thickness cut. That also forms a channel for sawdust to exit the cut without spraying all over the place. You may know that, but it took me awhile to learn to do it that way.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My experience with my Bosch is different. The blade cut ok but not great so I would cut the board a bit long and finish the cut on the TS sled.

Forrest blades are expensive but I've never discarded any of mine. I've had the one on my tablesaw for a very long time and it is the best I have ever had. If you amortize the cost out over the years the cost makes more sense. Just saying, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Irwin Marple 50 tooth $32 at Lowes.
If you run across those Marple blades made in New Zealand...
snag 'em...
pretty decent blade...
the chinese made... not so good...

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
I wasn't aware of the negetive hook angle on the blade . Learned something today.

Anyone have a pic to illustrate ?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I wasn't aware of the negetive hook angle on the blade . Learned something today.

Anyone have a pic to illustrate ?
every one of the links and PDF's I posted has them...
and lots more...

·
Registered
869 Posts
My better blades (table and miter) are from Infinity and I have been very satisfied with them. Infinity router bits are top notch also.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks , got it this time . No one said I was the sharpest tool in the shed :laugh2:
the shed must be insulated if you are spending time out there...

Reactions: Roy Drake
1 - 19 of 19 Posts