Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Freud by far...
not to mention their CS...

if youwant to compete w/ those sears blades go w/ Marathon...

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized the post didn't show the Freud blade being offered by sears as well. Here it is.

Sears.com

Sounds like Freud is still the best so I'll get that one. Thanks.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I just realized the post didn't show the Freud blade being offered by sears as well. Here it is.

Sears.com

Sounds like Freud is still the best so I'll get that one. Thanks.
This particular blade is a crosscut blade, not a ripping blade. If you have a mitre saw and use that for cross cuts, this blade would be more appropriate for that, if not then you would definitely want to switch out before any extensive ripping operations.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
This particular blade is a crosscut blade, not a ripping blade. If you have a mitre saw and use that for cross cuts, this blade would be more appropriate for that, if not then you would definitely want to switch out before any extensive ripping operations.
that blade IS NOT for a miter saw...
it IS NOT a negative hook blade...

take a moment...

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Stick, I've saved this and may refer to it on occasion, but I'm pretty sure my blades on my mitre saws have a positive hook angle.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I don't buy anything at Sears. Going to Sears to buy tools is like going to the Dollar Store and buying tools. Neither one has a clue.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I don't buy anything at Sears. Going to Sears to buy tools is like going to the Dollar Store and buying tools. Neither one has a clue.
If neither one has a clue then why do they locate their tools next to small appliances? Answer me that Mr. Hawkeye! :smile:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wanting it for a ripping blade, but I see that it is for crosscutting. Great info in that link Stick!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick, I've saved this and may refer to it on occasion, but I'm pretty sure my blades on my mitre saws have a positive hook angle.
so put the correct one on...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
ditto...
at least the CS at the dollar store is leagues ahead of sears...

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Registered
928 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Quenten that Freud 60 tooth is an excellent crosscutting blade for the table saw and at that price is a steal. For ripping you want max 30 tooth with high hook angle. The more teeth you have the more power it takes to drive it and more teeth means smaller saw gullets so the gullets on those blades load up very quickly with sawdust and when they do it creates friction on the sides of the cut and the blade gets hot and will start warping. I ruined a pretty good Sears blade that was 60 tooth just in that fashion. You also have to make sure that the blade is designed to cut 3" deep if you intend to use it that way. Freud makes 2 blades that are nearly identical except that one is only meant to cut material 1" thick. I think the Sears blade was only meant for cutting panels (i.e. less than 1") but that's one of the issues with buying from Sears is that you don't always get all the info that should be included. I also have an 80 tooth melamine blade from Sears and it has been a pretty good blade. It may be starting to get a little dull finally but it was a reasonably good blade so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Sears blade if the price was right.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
If neither one has a clue then why do they locate their tools next to small appliances? Answer me that Mr. Hawkeye! ... :smile:
...So someone who knows little about appliances and nothing about tools can cover the floor in both departments. Got to keep labor costs in line by golly.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Charles, you guys are great. I didn't realize how much there was to learn about wood working! After looking at the blade on my table saw, it appears to be for crosscutting as well. So I will need to pick up a ripping blade. I will be on a very limited budget for a while so I really appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge/experience with me. I think I will pick up that Freud blade since it is a good deal. I'm sure I will need it before long. I'll start looking for a ripping blade also.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
If you want a really great blade, get the Freud glue line rip blade. Amazingly good blade. I also have switched to the full kerf rip blade Freud offers in their industrial line. Not quite as fine a finish on the cut as the Glue line, but man, no distordeflection tion of the blade, ever. One more thing about saw blades, I recently realized I was not raising the blade quite high enough when doing a rip cut. Now I try to get the blade high enough so most of the gullet is above the work piece, which allows the gullet to carry more sawdust down into the dust collection system in the saw. A surprising difference with abut 1/4 inch higher setting.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts