Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I was asked to fix a 100+ year old sewing bench, I got it matched up. Damage was handle broken and missing pieces, all 4 sides were warped, bottom was bend so far it was almost falling out had to replace.......not perfect but didn't want it to be perfect or it would have looked like it was fixed. once clamp is removed all done.....Here are the before and after
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
A couple weeks ago I was asked to fix a 100+ year old sewing bench, I got it matched up. Damage was handle broken and missing pieces, all 4 sides were warped, bottom was bend so far it was almost falling out had to replace.......not perfect but didn't want it to be perfect or it would have looked like it was fixed. once clamp is removed all done.....Here are the before and after
Tony,you did a great job repairing this old sewing bench.It all seems to match up beautifully now.Jamesjj
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,625 Posts
Nicely done...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
started with a dark stain on a scrap piece of wood that I used to replace the missing pieces, layered it until it matched as close as I could. I used a piece of foam and dabbed it on. I then let it dry and gave it a light 0000 steel wool sanding. shot a clear coat when it looked like it matched I applied it to the new wood parts of the fix in the same amount of coats. did the same thing with the rest of the bench with 0000 steel wool final clear coated the entire bench to lighten up the fine scratches. I could have sanded it all down and redid the entire bench but they wanted it to still look somewhat 100 years old and not lose the patina. The goal for me was to fix it without anyone knowing what was fixed and that is exactly what it turned out like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
started with a dark stain on a scrap piece of wood that I used to replace the missing pieces, layered it until it matched as close as I could. I used a piece of foam and dabbed it on. I then let it dry and gave it a light 0000 steel wool sanding. shot a clear coat when it looked like it matched I applied it to the new wood parts of the fix in the same amount of coats. did the same thing with the rest of the bench with 0000 steel wool final clear coated the entire bench to lighten up the fine scratches. I could have sanded it all down and redid the entire bench but they wanted it to still look somewhat 100 years old and not lose the patina. The goal for me was to fix it without anyone knowing what was fixed and that is exactly what it turned out like.
Thanks for the details.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,456 Posts
@comp56 - Tony - almost identical to this one, except for the applique on the front and back. This one belonged to my wife's grandmother - we've had it for quite a few years. I had to repair the lower panel as well as it had fallen out. I also stripped it down and refinished it and recovered to the top with some new, old fabric. It's been quite a while but I think I used American Walnut for the finish.
 

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top