Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Great write up Tom.. should prove to be a valuable resource for many of our new readers and maybe a few of the old dogs can learn a new trick or two..

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,355 Posts
+1 What they all said Tom.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Excellent Tom...

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Great information Tom ;)

Love #17 . I have this feeling it's aimed at me , or maybe you guys are just making me paranoid lol

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Lots of good information Tom. I whole heartedly agree that gathering as much information as possible leads to easier projects with better results. There is no substitute for practice on a project. I build a prototype from pine before working with more expensive wood. This shows you any unexpected problems with the design or methods you use. Better to screw up on inexpensive materials!

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
But Mike, I like pine! :grin:

Good job, Tom.

I saw a pic today of my mini split in the garage. This is year three. I love it. :grin:

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Marvelous tips,Tom! Thanks for taking your time to post them! This forum is a great library of good knowledge and precious persons!!!!
Sid.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Number 3 just occurred to me two days ago. I started an ulta-simple project using MDF, and it took some of the stress out of screwing up. Thankfully I learned how dangerous MDF dust is before I started working with it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
NEVER use MDF. It is a health hazard and few, if any, have a DC powerful enough to use it safely.

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Tom for compiling this wealth of advice.
Each tip is worth about four years of experience....
Simon
p.s. I may quote you when my Beloved & I are having our next latest & greatest 'discussion' about my keeping wood offcuts for sacrificial purposes.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great information Tom ;)

Love #17 . I have this feeling it's aimed at me , or maybe you guys are just making me paranoid lol
I have decided to spare you any "I" related comments. It too me awhile to get it done myself Took a really cold winter to convince me I HAD to do it.

Thanks all for the nice comments. I like to post this for newbies from time to time, but I always warn you that you've maybe read it before. I keep polishing it up, so its in pretty tight shape now. I do a lot of writing, was a jourrnalist for a decade and can't help myself when the keyboarrd sings its sweet song.

Tom

·
Registered
693 Posts
Great write up Tom. When I read the reference to The Joint Book i did a little research on the Internet and Amazon seems to be the cheapest source. But I also found this reference to a very old book that's been reproduced on line: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21531/21531-h/21531-h.htm I'm easily distracted. Anyway, I'm thinking about a project that will use some basic mortise and tenon joinery so I clicked in the index on " The Mortise and Tenon Joint". After scrolling through several pages my eyes glazed over. I never imagined that there could be so many different types, and uses, of mortise and tenon joinery. I'll never again use the phrase "simple" when discussing a joint. What could be simpler than a half lap, right? Wrong! Dozens of variations on that one too.

So much to learn, so little time.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts