Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Interesting Ray...brings back so many memories of their tools that I owned at one time or another.

That was back in the day when they had pretty good tools as I recall, and their guarantee was decent as well.

About the scariest tool I had was their moulding cutter set. I was always worried every time I used it. For some reason I always thought that the cutters were going to fly out. But, of course, they never did.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
There are a bunch of those tools I'd like to be able to buy for those prices now. I also have that moulding cutter and still use it occasionally.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Interesting Ray...brings back so many memories of their tools that I owned at one time or another.

That was back in the day when they had pretty good tools as I recall, and their guarantee was decent as well.

About the scariest tool I had was their moulding cutter set. I was always worried every time I used it. For some reason I always thought that the cutters were going to fly out. But, of course, they never did.
Local workshop I've sometimes worked in has a Wadkin radial arm saw. Never been keen on that thing, especially just after its had a blade change as I'm not so sure the person changing it fully understands the implications of blade tooth rake.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Local workshop I've sometimes worked in has a Wadkin radial arm saw. Never been keen on that thing, especially just after its had a blade change as I'm not so sure the person changing it fully understands the implications of blade tooth rake.
In the early '70's I had a 10" Craftsman Radial arm saw. I was in the building business at the time and it was used on a daily basis. Only ever used it for crosscutting, although with careful setup it was supposed to be able to function for ripping as well. I never did try that because I always thought that it would be so easy for the blade to go out of alignment with the fence that serious binding would likely be inevitable.

I did witness such a problem on a job site and the wood being ripped was turned into a projectile, much the same as can happen on a table saw. No injury to anyone fortunately, but it scared us enough that I never dared try it.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
You can still get prices like that. It's called Harbor Freight.

Of course, the quality suffers a bit -- ok, a lot.

HJ

Still uses a Craftsmen TS from the day. Not fancy, but gets the job done.

·
Registered
Paul
1,858 Posts
I never knew that they had metal working tools. I still use a Craftsman RAS, router, palm sander and I still like my old Craftsman screwdriver set. I looked on the Canadian site the other day... it seems they have more categories of tools listed than actual tools now.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I never knew that they had metal working tools. I still use a Craftsman RAS, router, palm sander and I still like my old Craftsman screwdriver set. I looked on the Canadian site the other day... it seems they have more categories of tools listed than actual tools now.
Most of the metal working machines,lathe, shaper, milling machines etc. were made by Atlas to Sears specs and were a lesser grade of material,i.e. potmetal in a lot of parts instead of steel that Atlas used in their machines.
But for garage mechanics they were great tools.
That was one of my childhood pastimes, reading the Sears tool catalogs and dreaming of the day I could own all those tools.

Herb

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I still have one that is older than the fancy 1959 model in the catalog but looks very similar. I have a lot of the attachments that were made for them including a planner blade, molder and others. It belonged to my uncle who made most of the furniture in his house. He and I made several projects during the summer when I was growing up and used this same saw. When I got it I was told it was purchased around 1950 when I was born.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I still have one that is older than the fancy 1959 model in the catalog but looks very similar. I have a lot of the attachments that were made for them including a planner blade, molder and others. It belonged to my uncle who made most of the furniture in his house. He and I made several projects during the summer when I was growing up and used this same saw. When I got it I was told it was purchased around 1950 when I was born.
I use the 60's RA saw on all my projects. I only use it for cross cutting. With a Freud 80t blade it gives a cut as smooth as glass.
And I use the Craftsman 12" table saw with Freud blades for ripping.

Herb

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I've used mine to rip panels for door panels, rail and stile panel construction and small table tops and inserts.

I had a jig I made that clamped to the bed that cut slots in oak blocks for bed rail mount repairs by lowering the blade into the block. Cut the slots, drill for and install the pins, route out the broken part of the bed leg to accept the block with a template and install the repair block. Worked great and there are a lot of beds still in use because of that saw and jig.

I has cut a lot of furniture trim both the shape with the shapper head and to length. Cut many dados with the dado blade. Planned a few feet of lumber with the planer attachment.

I do have a table saw, miter saw, band saw, scroll saw, and 5 in one but it is my first choice for most of the projects I do now.

·
Registered
810 Posts

Keith, Still made today "corob cutters", and they work great on a table saw, not so safe on a radial arm saw though.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Here: you can buy a used Craftsman TS in Niagara Falls for $100. I have no idea how old this is nor do I have anything to do with it, but I thought I would throw it into the "old Craftsman" thread. It's listed on Kijiji. And here's part of the ad text: I'm guessing there were a lot of Christmases he never got anything. 0:)

"reason he is selling it is cause he got a new one for Xmas"

Attachments

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Had a Craftsman drill press and 14" band saw. Donated both to Habitat For Humanity. Still use their screwdrivers , some wrenches, a very old shop vac and on occasion a 3" belt sander. The latter is great if you really need to tear into a board. The last time I wandered through their tool section I asked the salesman about a band saw and all he knew was "it has a great guarantee". I thanked him and left immediately.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts