Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Attempted to make my first "real" sign with the CNCRP Pro4848. Started with a 48 x 25 baltic birch countertop 1 1/2" thick. This could be a real expensive lesson if it doesn't work!!

Text all fit and started the rough cut for the deer.

Rough cut done. Doing finish cut now.

The cuts all worked!! Just gotta clean it up a little and paint the letters.

Ready to be picked up. Sent pic to customer - he likes it. Whew!!

Cut the whole thing in one evening and even painted the letters before going to bed. I figure this machine is about 4 times faster than the other one, which I'm still using. Can run them both at the same time.

Could use a few more like this one.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great John! Pretty soon you'll have to move into a larger shop space for the growing array of CNCs you'll be using. ;)

4D
Not according to my wife!!

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That’s impressive John . You’ve certainly mastered the world of cnc ;)
Nope - haven't mastered squat compared to what others do and what can be done.

That's great work John, and it looks like you've found the perfect solution to spoilboard resurfacing. 😉
Haven't got the spoilboard on yet. Just lucked out it was pretty level like this. Had to get some things done. If you make the cuts deep enough, they look pretty good. This piece of material was far from being level to start.

Looks very nice, John! Do you paint the letters with the mask in place? Does the mask ever get gummy and caught up in the bits?

David
That's the purpose of the mask. Still have to sand a little, but you can slop paint pretty quick and not have to be too careful.

Haven't had the mask get gummy yet, but if some builds up on the bit, it twists right off.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
That mask looks like a neat idea . I hope it’s fairly cheap ?
Did you glue up a bunch of pieces to create the sign John, or was it a slab already glued together ?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That mask looks like a neat idea . I hope it’s fairly cheap ?
Did you glue up a bunch of pieces to create the sign John, or was it a slab already glued together ?

Rick,

The mask is about $90 for a 24" x 50 yd roll.

This was an already made butcher block countertop that was sitting in the back room at Menards. They come in 4, 6, 8, and 12' lengths - 25" wide. The 4 footers are about the right size to wrestle around fairly easily, and also can be chopped up into my most used sizes. 12, 16, and 24 can all be divided into 48 evenly.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Rick,

The mask is about $90 for a 24" x 50 yd roll.

This was an already made butcher block countertop that was sitting in the back room at Menards. They come in 4, 6, 8, and 12' lengths - 25" wide. The 4 footers are about the right size to wrestle around fairly easily, and also can be chopped up into my most used sizes. 12, 16, and 24 can all be divided into 48 evenly.
That’s interesting John. Liking the fact that you can find a store with this wood prebuilt like that .
I doubt we’d have that selection here .
My concerns were the costs involved to build the sign material wise .

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That’s interesting John. Liking the fact that you can find a store with this wood prebuilt like that .
I doubt we’d have that selection here .
My concerns were the costs involved to build the sign material wise .
Lowes and HD has them too. If I had to glue that all up I'd still be fumbling, cussing, and heading back to the store for another gallon of glue. That'd be a $5k (or more) sign by then.

John... I'm using a 48" x 24" slab from Menards for my PC desk. Lowes also has them, and if I remember they are a bit cheaper than those that Menards sells. Here's mine on my Probotix Meteor getting some joinery cut for the 4x4 legs:

4D
Makes for a good solid work place. Love those joints!!

Lowes has these for $119, but they are 1 3/4" thick. The Menards are $80 but 1 1/2" thick. Hit em when they have the 11% off and it's closer to $70, or around $75 including tax here.

Looks AWESOME, John!!

How long did the deer take? What size bit?
The rough and finish cuts were a little over an hour each using 1/4" end mills and ball nose bits. Still being a bit timid, I only ran it at 150 ipm in case I had to make "adjustments" to save it. It could have run faster and a bigger end mill used by a pro like you.

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
John, it looks great. Glad to see you are using the new CNC and taking your time to figure everything out before you crank up the feeds and speeds. When you get used to using it things like this sign won't tank any time at all to cut.

Looks like I'll be putting a 4896 Pro with Nema 34 steppers, leg set and spindle together sometime this spring! Not mine, one of my customers wants me to help him get it put together and configured. He has a CNC Shark Pro HD1 right now so it will be a major change for him.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John, it looks great. Glad to see you are using the new CNC and taking your time to figure everything out before you crank up the feeds and speeds. When you get used to using it things like this sign won't tank any time at all to cut.

Looks like I'll be putting a 4896 Pro with Nema 34 steppers, leg set and spindle together sometime this spring! Not mine, one of my customers wants me to help him get it put together and configured. He has a CNC Shark Pro HD1 right now so it will be a major change for him.
I better be using the new one.....if I want to live. lol

Might as well order yours cause you'll be hooked getting this one going.

Reactions: RainMan 2.0
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.