Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning Woodworms online, lol

Just bought my first router table (a Woodpecker phenolic 32x24 with their lift and super fence) in preparation for continuing my Foxbody Mustang resto mod project - big sound system and some mdf/carbon fiber trim panels are the primary focus initially.

Have very limited space, so I adapted some old 14" steel legs I had to make this into a table top setup that sits on top of my 30 year old automotive / Varsol parts washer.

Running a Porter Cable 692 one speed motor in the lift (for now); going to see how it works, and keep an eye open for something maybe more powerful and w/ variable speed or a controller. Change will be easy - just need to get the appropriate mounting blocks from Woodpecker. Most of the cutting will be MDF with straight and flush bits, the odd panel will get some corner rounding and back cutting for dado assembly and clearance for the foam and leather/alcantara wrap.

So far the Woodpecker is everything I expected - agonized over this purchase for a few weeks, hummed and hawed over building my own, or getting a cheapie mdf and adapting the Felisatti split fence with the dual rotary adjuster. The cost is astronomical for a hobby non furniture application, but hey; I like to overdo things......not just the car, lol.
Finally decided the potential long term damage to wood product (since garage is only heated, not air conditioned) and went to the Woodpecker factory last week. Epic service and totally over the top product quality.

I live in Canada, and thought about the Jessem setup, but wanted something with integrated fence rails instead of the outside fence design like the Jessem, Kregs etc. to save some space at either end of the table.

Fired it up for the first time last night; so far so good. Almost no dust, with a shop vac (with Hepa filter and Dust Deputy) connected. The HF dust collector is sitting in the shed, and will be hooked up in the spring.

Anyways - hello everyone.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,258 Posts
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute complete your profile and add your first name so it clears the N/a in the side panel. Your location is helpful, too. We won't remember you're in Canada after this thread.

Show us some photos when you're ready - limited space or not. And the Mustang project will appeal to many here, especially with any associated woodworking.

David

·
Registered
21,838 Posts
Glad you decided to dive in. I have a Woodpecker plate for my Triton TRA001, thick, strong and a nice twist lock mechanism for the inserts (no more wandering screws). Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

I like the HF 2hp DC unit. Have two, one in the garage, the other recently relocated to a covered space between my office and shop shed. Pix below. I had both in my shop for a couple of years, but moving it outside has eliminated almost all of the stray sawdust from my shop.

I'm thinking of redoing the chip collector in the picture by adding a 4 inch Dust Deputy, although the Rockler ports in the fiber drum works quite well.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tom,

How do you replenish the air in your shop? It looks like you pull air from the shop via the porting to the can separator and then to the DC impeller and then out the filter canister.

Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are the pics of the 32x24 Woodpecker made into a table top. Used the legs from an old warped Wolfcraft, drilled and tapped the phenolic plate from below; also took the remote power switch apart and added a 15 ft long 14/3 SJTW cord so that the table can plug in no matter where it is situated. Eventually it will be attached to a board and spine so it can be clamped into my 20 year old Workmate when outside (in the driveway). Convertability is a big deal for my shop - everything needs to be multi task friendly. There are really 4 work areas - the welding/metal/grinding/drill press area, the woodworking/routing station, the main tool box top for most things and the rear work bench / electronics station.

Obviously need to keep the place clean and organized; the big fold down workbench is full of car parts (like the brake cooling ducts and housings, the door hardware, window motors etc.) as well as all kinds of supplies and stuff. Once a bit of space opens up, that work bench can fold up virtually flush against the wall. It is triangulated and can hold at least 500 lbs; I designed and built this way back in my townhouse in 2000. It was unbolted from the wall and made it's way into this garage in 2004; really is a nice useful piece to have.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
and the fold up bench; framed in fir 2x4s, 3/4" MDF top and a bunch of hospital grade HD stainless steel repurposed door hinges (not visible, as they are on the top of the work surface):
cant find the other pics atm, but will dig

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
took apart and cleaned the B+D plunge router I found in one of the basement tool boxes - no idea where this came from, but it works and I'll take it, lol

the PC690 is mounted on the Woodpecker lift, the other B+D I just picked up used for $30 is a dynamite little machine - motor looks to be the same as a PC690, made in USA too!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
more pics of the table and switch with the 15 ft cord; you can see how tight the tabletop space is, it barely fits, but the integrated fence doesn't interfere with the cabinet, meaning I can use the table and fence for smaller panels at least. Have to learn how to use this, and what it can do for me and of course that will influence the designs of what I'll be building.

Have the Woodpecker micro adjuster on the list as well, maybe a couple of flip stops so that the entire affair is deluxed out and ready for anything in future.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I like having 2 tables Paul. The main one is one I built that is fairly large with drawers under it and on castors so I can move it around. The small one is a Veritas steel top on a bench top stand like that one and I prefer it when doing small pieces as it is much easier on my back to stand straight up and not be leaned over. You could always build something that that stand would sit in to give a longer table when you need it and still be able to take it out and sit on a bench for the small stuff.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Little Update:

Adapted a $20 HF speed control to the PC690 for the odd time I'll wanna run slow.

Also took a $ 20 clear plastic waterproof document box and two blast gates and made a dust collection box that seems very effective.

Gotta still plumb up some 2.5" hoses with Y connectors and a table top dust hood; then play with the electrical panel and increase the service so everything can run at once.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very nice modification to improve your dust collection, well executed. I will keep this in mind, thought I would also need to add the switch/speed control. Currently I reach under the table to turn on the router.

·
Registered
21,838 Posts
Tom,

How do you replenish the air in your shop? It looks like you pull air from the shop via the porting to the can separator and then to the DC impeller and then out the filter canister.

Thanks
I have 2 roof vents that let air in, and I have one sliding window that is open just a crack. During Spring and Fall, the weather is so nice I often leave the shop door open.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update:

Went to the Toronto Woodworking Show/Sale at the International Ctr over the weekend. Picked up Bill Hyltons Router Book (updated) so I should be dangerous sooner than later.

Also saw my brother there, and ran into an old car buddy - Pat, who happens to be the local Laguna rep now........he made me touch and play with the nicest table saw......4 hp with iron trunions and a killer blade lift that felt like winding my Speedmaster. At only $4000 its a great deal, considering it weighs over 600 lbs lol.

Also grabbed the rest of the 2.5" dust collection parts needed for the table, as well as a hood to sit on the table during freehanding.

Found a used Freud micro adjust router fence (really like the design) complete with ancient PC/Rockwell router for $90 CAD. Took it apart, cleaned and wire wheeled all the surfaces and got rid of the non-UL approved non polarized plug and fire hazard cord repair. Killer deal.

And yes my fine feathered friends......I have spent a ton of time on accessories and zero time actually using the table......patience, Grasshoppers....... :grin:

Found the carbon fiber sheet I've been looking for....in the basement, right where I left it 3 yrs ago, lol.

A few more pics below. Heading to Houston for the week, but should have some activity going in the shop next weekend. Also going to need to add a breaker, or, if I can't find one, replace the ancient breaker box with a 4 or 6 circuit modern affair with the correctly sized breakers and master shut off.

Also found a new Canadian use for the PC18V cordless circular saw. Pls see below.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Paul - nice score on the fence/router. And in typical Canadian style, as Clint Eastwood says "improvise, adapt and overcome" - I'm from Niagara so I feel your pain
I used to attend the woodworking shows in Kitchener and Hamilton, but since I started coming to Florida, I've missed them the last few years. Oh well!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.