Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After joining, I haven't posted much. Just wanted to share what I've been working on.

The shop is 24x30 with 12 foot walls. This will be used as a multipurpose shop as I dabble in several hobbies including woodworking, auto mechanics and welding.

I had the slab poured by a contractor and all the framing my dad and I did. I've done the electrical myself.

The electrical is feed with 100 amps.

Best part is, my build cost is right at 14 dollars a square foot!

Anyways, on to the pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that is nicely done....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y'all. Still have some electrical to finish up. I plan on building my carriage doors next weekend and start installing the corner, eve and rake trim

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Thanks y'all. Still have some electrical to finish up. I plan on building my carriage doors next weekend and start installing the corner, eve and rake trim

You are going to have a super nice building there. Looks like you are doing a great job.

Did you design and build the steel trusses or buy them? How did you lift the trusses in place?

Keep the pictures coming,

Herb

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Very nice . Liking the electrical outlets . Lots of them and high ,looks like 4' high?
I see there 20 amp also . Another good idea .
Adding any 220 outlets?

Another thing to consider . Cat 5 from the house for Internet . Pre wiring alarm reeds and motion. Rg6 for the 42" flat screen :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are going to have a super nice building there. Looks like you are doing a great job.

Did you design and build the steel trusses or buy them? How did you lift the trusses in place?

Keep the pictures coming,

Herb

Thanks for the kind words.

My dad and I built them. They are his design. He does stuff like this by trade.

We built them in place so not much heavy lifting required.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice . Liking the electrical outlets . Lots of them and high ,looks like 4' high?
I see there 20 amp also . Another good idea .
Adding any 220 outlets?

Another thing to consider . Cat 5 from the house for Internet . Pre wiring alarm reeds and motion. Rg6 for the 42" flat screen :)

The outlets are 48 1/4" inches from the floor.

Each 30 foot wall has 7 outlets on two separate 20 amp circuits. Every other outlet is on a separate circuit.

240v outlets will come next. Still have to decide where I want them.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
OK Dustin, you've officially made everyone jealous. What we all wouldn't give to have a shop like that! :smile:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am also jealous. It is so nice to build your own and get exactly how you want it. My son recently purchased a home that has a separate oversized 1 car garage size shop. I was green with envy since mine is a shared 2 car garage for the past 25+ years.

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
The outlets are 48 1/4" inches from the floor.

Each 30 foot wall has 7 outlets on two separate 20 amp circuits. Every other outlet is on a separate circuit.

240v outlets will come next. Still have to decide where I want them.
Great job. My garage is 22/26 , but I'd love to have 24/30 though . Those look like steel trusses . I wasn't aware it was done that way , but looks heavy duty

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
  • Thickened slab edges - critical, yet often overlooked.
  • Longitudinal Grade Beam
  • Transverse Grade Beam
  • Rebar Transitions from Thickened Edges to said Grade Beams
  • Truss Diagonal Members CANTILEVERED ABOVE slope of roof.
  • Sturdy Connections
  • Properly Labelled Electrical Breaker Box
Dustin, The two heads thinking together (you and Dad) make a great design team and having my long experience in building design and construction, I saw several things that y'all were EXTREMELY SMART about.

Keep-up the FANTASTIC WORK!
Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
  • Thickened slab edges - critical, yet often overlooked.
  • Longitudinal Grade Beam
  • Transverse Grade Beam
  • Rebar Transitions from Thickened Edges to said Grade Beams
  • Truss Diagonal Members CANTILEVERED ABOVE slope of roof.
  • Sturdy Connections
  • Properly Labelled Electrical Breaker Box

Dustin, The two heads thinking together (you and Dad) make a great design team and having my long experience in building design and construction, I saw several things that y'all were EXTREMELY SMART about.

Keep-up the FANTASTIC WORK!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

Thanks so much. Couldn't have done the construction without my dad. I can swing a hammer but he is the design expert. I have done a ton of research to do this right. You only get one shot at this.

·
Premium Member
19,008 Posts
I color coded all my circuits with electrical tape, then put color tape on each outlet cover so I can avoid accidentally overloading any particular circuit. Put lighting, heater and AC on one circuit and used LED, so there is plenty of power available to heat or cool while the lights are on. I generally have a machine, the dust collection and AC or heat on at the same time. I only have 60 amps available, 100 amps is really nice.

What are you going to do for insulation?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I color coded all my circuits with electrical tape, then put color tape on each outlet cover so I can avoid accidentally overloading any particular circuit. Put lighting, heater and AC on one circuit and used LED, so there is plenty of power available to heat or cool while the lights are on. I generally have a machine, the dust collection and AC or heat on at the same time. I only have 60 amps available, 100 amps is really nice.

What are you going to do for insulation?

I used solar guard on the roof. The walls will probably get standard batt insulation at some point. Insulation is low priority for now. I need to get this building ready to move tools into.

We are selling our house in a few weeks and are moving in with the in laws. They are giving us three acres to build our new house on.

The shop will be used to facilitate construction as well as store some of our stuff.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Great job so far Dustin. Running the 220 for the heavy machinery is always a little tricky because it you run it inside the wall it requires that you never move anything very far once hooked up and that you never replace it with something that requires more current draw and a larger size wire. For those reasons you may want to consider running those circuits on the face of the walls with either a wire mould or using armoured cable. If you run them down low they won't be that noticeable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I currently do not have any equipment that requires 240v. However I will install one plug below the panel for just in case. I'll add more as I upgrade equipment in the future. I plan on making the wall covering above the breaker box removable to facilitate ease of install.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts