Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 1:
Transferred the drawings of the main piece (and horse head) onto a piece of 1/4" MDF, to make a template. Instead of having to trace this onto a new board, if I want to make others, I'm making a template of it first. May even use the template to trim route the actual wood I'm making it out of. Rough cut, ready for spindle sander!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
You gotta love templates . I can see where my big horizontal sander and my spindle sander will come in very handy for some of the final shaping

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hey @N'awlins77 give us a clue on the end product. Too out of context here ya know :wink:

Think you're trying to mimic Oliver (GaffBoat). :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I have a HF spindles sander. It's not big, but I think it should work fine!! I might have to screw it down. ;o)

You gottg a love templates . I can see where my big horizontal sander and my spindle sander will come in very handy for some of the final shaping

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
can feel it my bones...
that is going to look good....

Reactions: N'awlins77

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
Keep us updated. Lee.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
might as well make several Lee, your gonna need em :)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
That is one great design there. Looking forward to this taking shape. Now I get the template. I think your original comment about 'if I want to make others' might be a little off. Anyone who see's it and has kids is gonna want one. A new business could be born.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bill and Angie, when I told my Sister-in-law, about this (the niece I'm building it for, Mother) she got all chocked up and said that her daughter was going to love it. I let her in on it, because I wanted to ask her if her daughter had already had any baby furniture, and if so, what color or stain they were. She warned me though, that after I make it and give it to her (her daughter), to be prepared to get orders to make more. Because she has a feeling, after her daughter and herself, post pictures of it on their FB page, that the calls are going to come in!! ;o)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
A lot will want one -- BUT ........ will they pay the price?

HJ

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A lot will want one -- BUT ........ will they pay the price?

HJ
THAT, is the question, John!! :wink:

Well, because of a small family crisis, I did not go to work today, so I got to do a little bit on my project, after a nap of course! I got all the edges sanded, on the template, along with the horse's head!! Also drilled small holes where all the center pieces will be mounted. Next, I've got to join two pieces of 1 x 12's (X2 for two sides) and then trace out the template on to the two joined sides. Then I have to cut them out (wish I had a band saw...).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After eating lunch, and taking another nap, to make up for my bad night, I went back at it.

Pic 1- joined two pieces of 1x12's, using Kreg jig. Making sure to put the screws on the insides (kept the better looking sides out) and also made sure they fell in area's that don't get cut out.

Pic 2- Laid the jig down on the good wood. Then, using the pilot holes I previously drilled to mark where my cross members go and get screwed in, I screwed four corners down. Then, using a Sharpie, I traced the jig all the way around, including the inside oval.

Pic 3- Both sides are marked and ready to be cut.

I cut one side panel, with my jig saw, and I was going to stop at this point, because my jig saw blade was pretty dull, to begin with. So I was going to quit, until I could pick up some new blades. But then I decided to screw the jig back on (Pic 4), with 1/8" spacers, and then I was going to flush trim route, this one side. And then wait and rough cut the other side, later (with a new blade). BUT, then I realized I only own flush trim bits with bearing on the bottom!! So, I had to put this on hold, till I can make a trip to the HD or Lowes, for a flush trim bit, with a bearing on the top, and new jig saw blades.

So, done for the day.

(8/1/2016- 3.5 hours. *does not include finishing the jig.)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Looking really good, Lee. I saw this somewhere on facebook. My wife said 'The little guy (our grandson) has already outgrown it!"

But since one of our grand daughters just got married, there may be a need for one yet! :)
For me, it is just a see saw in the works for our great grandson.

And yes sir, we like pics!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Allen --- Gold Country Wood Woodworks is the sight I found the plans. $14.95. But I think it was well worth it. Gives you a full scale drawing for the sides, and the horses head (for the rocking horse) to trace onto your wood. And scaled down drawing for all the cross members. A materials and cut list. And step by step instructions on how to assemble. And support, if need be. I e-mailed them, because I was thinking I should have gotten it already, but it turned out I had mistaken when I actually ordered it. But my point is, I e-mailed them one day, and they replied the next.

Yes Sir Mike, I will try (not making any promises, the memory aint what it use to be.... ;o) ) to remember to take lots of photo's!!

I did pick up the top bearing flush trim bit, I needed, at Home Depot (and some jig saw blades), but I'm afraid I'm not going to get to work on this, until the weekend. I started a big job today, at work, and I will be driving home (2.5 hours, round trip) everyday!! And It wore me out today!! Nuttin' but shower and sofa, after this job!!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts