Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
I am unsure as to what size of a roundover bit to use to give it a rounded finished edge. Am I correct in thinking a 3/4" roundover will give it a full radius edge? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What I am not understanding is how are the roundover bits measured. I would like half to three quarters the thickness of the pine rounded over.

Thanks in advance,
Karter

· Registered
1,663 Posts
To do half the thickness rounded, you'd use a 3/8" bit - for three quarters of the thickness rounded you'd use a 1/2" bit if I'm understanding your question correctly - I'm assuming you want one flush edge. The roundover bits are measured by their roundover radius. So yes, a 3/4" roundover bit would round the whole edge of 3/4" thick stock into a quarter circle shape.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gilbear said:
To do half the thickness rounded, you'd use a 3/8" bit - for three quarters of the thickness rounded you'd use a 1/2" bit if I'm understanding your question correctly - I'm assuming you want one flush edge. The roundover bits are measured by their roundover radius. So yes, a 3/4" roundover bit would round the whole edge of 3/4" thick stock into a quarter circle shape.
Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for. I do want a flush edge. I will use the 1/2" bit. Thanks again.

· Registered
2 Posts
So, to make quarter round molding...?

So, if I understand this right, this is how I would mill quarter round molding? I'm new here too, and I'm trying to make my own quarter round from 3/4" thick bords. If I use a 3/4" roundover bit on the edges, then run it through the table saw at about 3/4", does that sound right?
Thanks!
Cheryl

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Chery

You would use a 1/2" Radius bit the norm for 3/4" thick stock.

see listing below what the round over bits will do... MLCS Round Over Router Bits and Sets

Than once you put the profile on the stock rip off what you need.

=====

======

So, if I understand this right, this is how I would mill quarter round molding? I'm new here too, and I'm trying to make my own quarter round from 3/4" thick bords. If I use a 3/4" roundover bit on the edges, then run it through the table saw at about 3/4", does that sound right?
Thanks!
Cheryl

· Registered
413 Posts
If you use a 3/4" roundover bit on 3/4" stock, that will give the same profile as the 3/4" quarter round in Home Depot. You would have to use the fence on a table, though, as the bearing on a 3/4" roundover would not engage the edge of the stock. Using the ½" bit gives you a nice roundover and allows the bit to engage the stock, if you don't have a table.

I prefer to use wider baseboards and chuck the quarter-round entirely.

· Registered
2,001 Posts
Thanks!
Cheryl
It depends on the actual profile you want. For a true circular profile, the radius of the bit should equal the thickness of the stock. If you want a bit of flatness on the side, a smaller radius would work.

· Official Greeter
20,405 Posts
G’day Cheryl

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks fellas!

I think I'll try both the 1/2" & 3/4" and see which I like better- I'm using a router table for sure- I don't think I'm good enough to try freehand on this! LOL

I've got large baseboards too, but I need quarter round in some rooms to hide the gap from the new flooring I installed. Old house, unique baseboards..wasn't about to try & remove them in one piece, so I just left them on.

I did make my own wide baseboards with the router for the new pine plank porch floor- that worked out well, so I though I'd try quarter round.
Thanks for the advice!

Cheryl :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.