Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am unsure as to what size of a roundover bit to use to give it a rounded finished edge. Am I correct in thinking a 3/4 " roundover will give it a full radius edge? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What I am not understanding is how are the roundover bits measured. I would like half to three quarters the thickness of the pine rounded over,
Thanks in advance,
Karter

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
To do half the thickness rounded, you'd use a 3/8" bit - for three quarters of the thickness rounded you'd use a 1/2" bit if I'm understanding your question correctly - I'm assuming you want one flush edge. The roundover bits are measured by their roundover radius. So yes, a 3/4" roundover bit would round the whole edge of 3/4" thick stock into a quarter circle shape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gilbear said:
To do half the thickness rounded, you'd use a 3/8" bit - for three quarters of the thickness rounded you'd use a 1/2" bit if I'm understanding your question correctly - I'm assuming you want one flush edge. The roundover bits are measured by their roundover radius. So yes, a 3/4" roundover bit would round the whole edge of 3/4" thick stock into a quarter circle shape.
Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for. I do want a flush edge. I will use the 1/2" bit. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, to make quarter round molding...?

So, if I understand this right, this is how I would mill quarter round molding? I'm new here too, and I'm trying to make my own quarter round from 3/4" thick bords. If I use a 3/4" roundover bit on the edges, then run it through the table saw at about 3/4", does that sound right?
Thanks!
Cheryl

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Chery

You would use a 1/2" Radius bit the norm for 3/4" thick stock.

see listing below what the round over bits will do..
MLCS Round Over Router Bits and Sets

http://cgi.ebay.com/1pc-1-2-SH-5-8-...504400103?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item20b6b700e7

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-pc-1-2-SH-3-4...481260167?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item1e614a0687

http://cgi.ebay.com/1pc-1-2-SH-1-Ra...508893810?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item20b6fb9272

Than once you put the profile on the stock rip off what you need.

=====

======

So, if I understand this right, this is how I would mill quarter round molding? I'm new here too, and I'm trying to make my own quarter round from 3/4" thick bords. If I use a 3/4" roundover bit on the edges, then run it through the table saw at about 3/4", does that sound right?
Thanks!
Cheryl

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you use a 3/4" roundover bit on 3/4" stock, that will give the same profile as the 3/4" quarter round in Home Depot. You would have to use the fence on a table, though, as the bearing on a 3/4" roundover would not engage the edge of the stock. Using the ½" bit gives you a nice roundover and allows the bit to engage the stock, if you don't have a table.

I prefer to use wider baseboards and chuck the quarter-round entirely.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Thanks!
Cheryl
It depends on the actual profile you want. For a true circular profile, the radius of the bit should equal the thickness of the stock. If you want a bit of flatness on the side, a smaller radius would work.

·
Official Greeter
19,758 Posts
G’day Cheryl

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks fellas!

I think I'll try both the 1/2" & 3/4" and see which I like better- I'm using a router table for sure- I don't think I'm good enough to try freehand on this! LOL

I've got large baseboards too, but I need quarter round in some rooms to hide the gap from the new flooring I installed. Old house, unique baseboards..wasn't about to try & remove them in one piece, so I just left them on.

I did make my own wide baseboards with the router for the new pine plank porch floor- that worked out well, so I though I'd try quarter round.
Thanks for the advice!

Cheryl :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.