Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started this 3-in-1 project back many months ago. Did really well in the beginning and then the time came to sand and finish and somehow it wasn't on the fast track any longer. Mind you I can't say I hate to sand & finish but it's down lower on my list of favorites things. Kinda close to hemorrhoids and ulcers if you know what I mean. Now last year I went to the Woodworkers show and got a major boost in enthusiasm from meeting some really great people who share their knowledge of this hobby. And I sat in on some good talks one of which was Mr. Bush on finishing. My take away on that was the foam molded sanding blocks which I bought a set of along with some really good self sticking sandpaper. This stuff sat on the miter saw station for, well months, actually close to a year now as the show is again in March.

So while working away on the mortise sliding table I thought I really should use the time to finish off this other project so when I was using the epoxy putty, no fun at all (worst than sanding and finishing if you can believe it), it required a fair amount of time to set and this would be a good time to get the other project done. So over the past few days I've sanded initially, applied a top coat, sanded again now at 220, applied a coat, sanded at 400, applied a coat, and then a very very light sanding then applying another coat. Keep in min this is several days and my drying time was pronominal. The RH and temp couldn't have been more ideal. A couple of hours between coats was plenty. The final 5th coat was applied today and slightly buffed. It is satin smooth.

Keep in mind this is a glorified saw horse for the shop. One top has rollers, another wood, and the third (remember 3-in-1) is a small work table. Best part is the sanding was so much nicer with those molded sanding blocks and really good self adhering sand paper. I was having so much fun I actually put 5 coats on the mortiser table fence, back up clocks, clamp holder, and something else.........OK fun is a stretch but nothing like the last time I remember putting finish on. And it did a really nice job of bringing out the detail in the soft maple. Of course I sanded the edges and the satin finish makes it look like it should be next to my recliner in the living room.

Don't think Momma will go for that but at least it looks good. Now I realize I need to put finish on the router table, the outfeed assembly table, the rolling cabinet for the table saw, and the cabinet for the pocket hole machine. Still have 1/2 gallon of the General Top Coat finish and plenty of sponge applicators. Nough talk........

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
very nice!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Outstanding design! Should be offered as a retail item by someone as most of these items are made more cheaply than nearly anything else!

PS: Your shop is way too clean...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Nice job !

But your shop is just too darn clean...you're embarrassing the rest of us...or did you clean it up for the pics (there's hope for you yet) :smile:

Reactions: TenGees and sreilly

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys but the shop needs order due to the sharp instruments and trip hazards. The discipline came from having house dogs that visited the shop and the desire to not upset the overlord with trails of sawdust all over the house. There's that ole saying Happy wife, happy life. I like being happy........besides being on the good side of the treasurer means a better budget, a better budget means more toys, more toys makes my son happier. Seems he has patience after all...............just kidding. But seriously the shop is one area I'm very particular about. Wasn't till just a while ago I noticed the white rag on the stool. A rag used for the denatured alcohol for cleaning up that very messy epoxy putty.

That and my wife often visits me there to assist or just to visit and I am very particular with her safety.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job !

But your shop is just too darn clean...you're embarrassing the rest of us...or did you clean it up for the pics (there's hope for you yet) :smile:
Actually my routine ends with the last 10-15 minutes of cleanup. The machines are vacuumed as is the floor. It's just the way I am. Now my office, that's a different story. I know something I need is on my desk but how high in the pile requires some mining at times. About once every few months I'll get disgusted and clean it off. Hopefully I don't find food there, not old food anyway......

·
Registered
21,694 Posts
I love seeing practical projects like this one. Beautiful workmanship, handsome chunk of wood. Really nice finish. I really like the sliders on the sides that allow aligning with the top of a tool.

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Looks good and should be handy.

I think I might take it one step farther and make it so the tabletop would store on one side and the guides would store on the other side. That way all the parts are always together and not sitting on the power tools, benches or hidden under or behind something.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks guys but the shop needs order due to the sharp instruments and trip hazards. The discipline came from having house dogs that visited the shop and the desire to not upset the overlord with trails of sawdust all over the house. There's that ole saying Happy wife, happy life. I like being happy........besides being on the good side of the treasurer means a better budget, a better budget means more toys, more toys makes my son happier. Seems he has patience after all...............just kidding. But seriously the shop is one area I'm very particular about. Wasn't till just a while ago I noticed the white rag on the stool. A rag used for the denatured alcohol for cleaning up that very messy epoxy putty.

That and my wife often visits me there to assist or just to visit and I am very particular with her safety.
Along with being a saw horse revolutionary, you are noble man who cares for life itself. May you gain many more toys during all your days...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.