Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't sleep last night so came up with this after I lost count of the sheep for your carving fun.

Automotive tire Font Circle Rim Automotive wheel system

For about the last year I have been going back and testing the height maps to see what type of patterns they generate.

This is the render of the model that the height map generated in Blender (free software). The STL was around 159 megs so I would reduce the geometry by about 30-40% and aim for 100 megs, though of course you can go much lower. Always a balancing act on geometry quality and file size.

Dishware Serveware Wood Rectangle Circle

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the cigar smokers. My daily smokers are coffee flavored cigars. Super yummy.

Another drunk modeling 5 minute pattern. Yingling beer, little water, and champagne. I might have a headache tomorrow.

Vertebrate Jaw Smile Mammal Gesture

For your PhotoShopping fun.

Nose Eye Facial expression Smile Emoticon

· Registered
Mike
3,960 Posts
Looks like your insomnia has been productive.

· Official Greeter
20,416 Posts
A little bit more drunk modeling. Beat up cowboy hat. I'm a native Texan so I normally wear a cowboy hat when I am out in more formal wear. I only wear Stetson or Resistol. lol. Dang that sounded highfalutin.

View attachment 401405

For your PhotoShopping fun.

View attachment 401406
Hahaha, Typical Texan,,,, wears his cowboy hat for 'formal wear....... I like it......

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick experiment on geometry displacement and following curves. I am sure other folks have completely figured this out but I still have a lot to work out for myself.

1. Found picture of a feather
2. Created a texture from the picture
3. Applied texture to geometry
4. Created array from geometry
5. Had array follow curve

Took maybe 5 minutes to do.

White Black Petal Organism Art
Font Wood Circle Symmetry Pattern

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish I had the originality, creativity and vision to be able to make the patterns that you post.

The tools have gotten so good its getting easier and easier to start learning 3d modeling. I won't say its easy but its no longer the unreachable goal anymore. Home computers are so powerful now you can make full length animated movies on them. There is free software to start learning.

If you stick only to the 3d modeling section, Blender3d is very approachable. There are a ton of free learning tutorials online and they are very, very good.

If you outgrow Blender then Zbrush is the industry standard for artistic 3d modeling, but it just got sold off and the first thing the new company did was make it subscription. I will be sticking with the last 2021 version that was not subscription and since I only use about 5% of it now I will not outgrow it for a long time, if ever.

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A fun modeling/sculpting session. Hummingbird scene panel. I have not carved it so if you do please use your cnc knowledge.

Flowers are supposed to be cherry blossoms thanks to Blender Guru for a great tutorial on how to model them.

Flower Plant White Black Petal

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was playing around with 3d metaballs and how they convert to 3d geometry. No issues at all and a one click to complete.

In the world of 3d there are several different ways to represent geometry. A distinct way is using metaballs. Metaballs are organic-looking n-dimensional isosurfaces, characterized by their ability to meld together when in close proximity to create single, contiguous objects.

Drinkware Tableware Cup Serveware Dishware

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.