Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been successfully using 3M Carpet Tape Cat. 345 to secure templates to the work piece when routing. The same roll has been in the shop for years. 36 yds lasts a long time. I ran out last week and could not find the stuff locally so ordered it online. The only thing I could find online was 3M 345PQ. It sounded like the same product but it is not. It has a foul smell and leaves a nasty residue when the pieces are separated. I have been looking again for it on line but can not find it even on the 3M site. Nor could I locate any technical specifications from 3M on their tape products and intended uses to differentiate 345 from 345PQ. I tried a number of likely looking products at my local Ace Hardware but none perform as well as the original 345. Does anyone know where to get the original 345 or can anyone recommend an equivalent product? Does anyone want 34 yds of 345PQ?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I have been successfully using 3M Carpet Tape Cat. 345 to secure templates to the work piece when routing. The same roll has been in the shop for years. 36 yds lasts a long time. I ran out last week and could not find the stuff locally so ordered it online. The only thing I could find online was 3M 345PQ. It sounded like the same product but it is not. It has a foul smell and leaves a nasty residue when the pieces are separated. I have been looking again for it on line but can not find it even on the 3M site. Nor could I locate any technical specifications from 3M on their tape products and intended uses to differentiate 345 from 345PQ. I tried a number of likely looking products at my local Ace Hardware but none perform as well as the original 345. Does anyone know where to get the original 345 or can anyone recommend an equivalent product? Does anyone want 34 yds of 345PQ?
Hi Bob - Welcome to the forum:)
Sorry, can't help with the 3M brand. I've been using a Duck brand double faced carpet tape with pretty good success. Available in the paint department at Wal-Mart. My main issue is the backing can be a bit dicey to get off but it holds well.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Bob, I use the cheapest double sided carpet tape I can find at HD or Lowes. It only needs to hold for a minute or two, why shell out more than you need to?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your suggestions. I have by necessity tried a couple of products from ACE Hardward and the 3M 345PQ that I mentioned. They all do the job. It is just that the old roll of 3M 345 that I used up did it so much better - Good hold down, and after separation the adhesive stayed on the tape instead of gunking up the work. I will purchase the Duck product next time I am in the vicinity of a WalMart and let you know how it goes.

I read through the other threads on this subject on the forum and discovered several other products that I checked out on the web. Some of the industrial tapes look very promising but they are sold by the case. No sample packs that I could find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts