Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4" Y coming out of my dust collector with one of the outlets blocked off with a cap. I am thinking about running a permanent hose to my table saw. I am not sure but does a lot of air get by the blast gate when it is shut off?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'd tell ya the answer but you'd probably take me off of YOUR birthday list...

Reactions: hawkeye10

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
oh what the Hades...
a quality gate leaks very very little to virtually nothing...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Thats pretty much my setup.... a 10' dedicated line to the TS off of one side of the Y and a blast gate on the other...works well enough that I don't worry about..

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
Double check your "Y". I think my Harbor Freight machine has a 5 inch inlet that the "Y" connects to. If I remove it, I would need and adapter to connect a 4 inch hose.

You may have the same setup.

Hope this helps.
Mike

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Double check your "Y". I think my Harbor Freight machine has a 5 inch inlet that the "Y" connects to. If I remove it, I would need and adapter to connect a 4 inch hose.

You may have the same setup.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Mike your right coming out of the DC it's 5" and the "Y" goes to that then the 2 outlets are 4".

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 2hp Shop Fox DC has a 6" inlet with a plastic Y to 4". I removed that and used a 6" smooth pipe system as far as I could with some 6x4 metal Y's along the way. At each junction is a (metal) blast gate. After about 25' I tapered to 4" metal. There is a minimal amount of flex hose for each machine (7 total). Unit is located outside, wired for 240v and use Long Ranger with 4 remotes. Joints are sealed with the metallic AC tape (there are 2 sheet metal screws in the whole run). Relatively small shop and it works well.

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
Since blast gates is part of the OP, my experience with the plastic ones is they are not self clearing. That's a real bummer because dust will collect in the track and the slide will not close properly.

The metal ones I have are self cleaning and they work well. They have a knob so you can lock the slide open, closed, or anywhere in between.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.