Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
40 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have been having my router bits and table saw blades sharpened this past year. The place I go is principally for industry shops with pallets of blades arriving daily. The table saw blade sharpening is done on a Vollmer(?) Robotic CNC station. Sharpening is from $8 to $18 depending on number of teeth for 10" blades. Blades sound quieter after sharpening and cut awesome.

Steve.

·
Registered
10 Posts
WOW, Steve I'm a cabinet maker and I've been paying $30.00 a blade to get my blades sharpened through my local cabinet maker supply shop. I'd be thrilled if I could find a good saw blade sharpener that would sharpen a blade for the prices your quoting. Seems here in San Diego there aren't any local sharpeners so everything's being sent to La.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Danny at $30 the blade would have to be as sharp as brand new.

Reactions: Cricket

·
Registered
2 Posts
long term

saw sharpening shops are getting to be harder and harder to find. in our disposable society most folk are to either to busy or lazy or stupid or cheap to bother. sharpening cheap blades, well, do I need to elaborate ?
keep one thing in mind, if you don't support local sharpening shops then your future option just might be either ship out (like with forrest blades) or pissing away more money at retail. I can appreciate the shops need to keep the lights on but some are hoping to send their kids to college on you ; like everything, shop around.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Just by looking at the picture who ever wrote this thread wasn't a woodworker. The most important thing is to use the right blade for the right task and the picture shows a crosscut blade on a table saw ripping a board. Even shows the burn marks from a blade that has too many teeth making a rip cut.
And to top it off the article doesn't even mention that the blade has to match the cut.

Just shaking my head every time I sign on and see that picture.
Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Good point Herb. I ruined a blade like that before I took the time to learn about the right blade for the right application. I do have a tendency to get lazy about changing blades sometimes but I leave my rip blade on to do multi tasking with the TS, not one of my finish blades or crosscut blades. I also keep some blades that are too crappy for nice jobs and switch to them if I have to cut something that's questionable (as in dirt, grit, or hidden metal).

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
but I leave my rip blade on to do multi tasking with the TS, not one of my finish blades

I hope you mean a combination blade, I do too. One time I left a straight rip blade on to do a quick crosscut and it grabbed my piece with a BANG and scared the dickens out of me,destroyed the wooden piece. The blade was one of those 24 big teeth with the long gullets.

I have Some generic combos I use for the junk cuts,mostly crosscuts, like cutting up scraps for fire wood.
Herb

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been having my router bits and table saw blades sharpened this past year. The place I go is principally for industry shops with pallets of blades arriving daily. The table saw blade sharpening is done on a Vollmer(?) Robotic CNC station. Sharpening is from $8 to $18 depending on number of teeth for 10" blades. Blades sound quieter after sharpening and cut awesome.

Steve.
I get excellent service out of a local sharpener and boy do they work well when they come back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good point Herb. I ruined a blade like that before I took the time to learn about the right blade for the right application. I do have a tendency to get lazy about changing blades sometimes but I leave my rip blade on to do multi tasking with the TS, not one of my finish blades or crosscut blades. I also keep some blades that are too crappy for nice jobs and switch to them if I have to cut something that's questionable (as in dirt, grit, or hidden metal).
I clean everything up with hand tools before it ever sees the TS...

And yes, having a number of blades is excellent advice!:smile:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Here's a pretty good chart explaining which grinds are best for various jobs. https://vermontamerican.com/circular-saw-blade-anatomy-grind-types/

You should have a ripping blade and a finish blade at least. If you use a miter saw you should have a miter saw blade which is usually a tooth with zero* or negative degree hook. I have some goods ones and I tried one on some melamine on my table saw and it cut beautifully. I was afraid the negative 6* hook might try and lift the small piece I tried it on but it wasn't a problem. On a miter saw the negative hook will help keep the board on the miter table.

If you are going to need to crosscut boards wider than a miter saw then you'll need a crosscutting blade although a fine finish blade will probably be okay for that. Most of those are ATB style grinds.

For cutting plywood or melamine a dedicated melamine/plywood blade is a better idea and they are usually a Hi ATB or a Triple Chip Grind or a combination of those. The Hi ATB will have an approximately 30* bevel on the teeth from side to side and the pointy tips shear the fiber at the sides of the cut first but the downside is that those pointy tips wear faster.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Just by looking at the picture who ever wrote this thread wasn't a woodworker. The most important thing is to use the right blade for the right task and the picture shows a crosscut blade on a table saw ripping a board. Even shows the burn marks from a blade that has too many teeth making a rip cut.
And to top it off the article doesn't even mention that the blade has to match the cut.

Just shaking my head every time I sign on and see that picture.
Herb
good catch Herb...
and where is the comprehensive information on selecting the right blade for the job/saw and why.....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Agreed it could do more but it's a starting point and it does show the tooth pattern and describe what it's best used for. I didn't see an article that covered all of it.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
good catch Herb...
and where is the comprehensive information on selecting the right blade for the job/saw and why.....
That picture reminds me of when Black & Decker came out with their wormdrive saws to compete with the Skilsaw, they ran full page ads in all the trade magazines.
It showed the saw from the blade side, and the big B&D logo on the blade,..............but the blade was on backwards.

The reason being is that the logos were printed on the opposite sides of the blades in those days because most of the circular saws had the blade on the other side of the saw.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Agreed it could do more but it's a starting point and it does show the tooth pattern and describe what it's best used for. .
a new body will read that and believe that is all there is to know...

I didn't see an article that covered all of it
I know it it can be a long shot but just do a search here for that information...
it's been covered many times in the past.. in hyper detail... by many... that nobody ever read...

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Too many hits for saw blade or just blade for something quick. I had to go with google. Maybe one of us should put together a sticky thread that stays at the top of a category? That, glues, and maybe some others when there is time. I see too many people say they use T3 for everything and it isn't always the best choice or sometimes even a good choice.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Too many hits for saw blade or just blade for something quick. I had to go with google. Maybe one of us should put together a sticky thread that stays at the top of a category? That, glues, and maybe some others when there is time. I see too many people say they use T3 for everything and it isn't always the best choice or sometimes even a good choice.
the search function here sure leaves a lot to be desired...
search - try > hook angle.... or > blade criteria...

stickies... that's been asked for for a long time....

Chuck... I have seen you write volumes on these subjects...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Router Forums - Search Results

1 - 20 of 31 Posts