Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I'm looking for a 5hp 3450 rpm TEFC 220V single phase motor. Its for a my tablesaw, and it has a 184T frame. Hoping if you have one that your fairly local to me, which means Rochester/Buffalo NY area. My motors burned out and I don't think there is any repairing it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hello folks, I'm looking for a 5hp 3450 rpm TEFC 220V single phase motor. Its for a my tablesaw, and it has a 184T frame. Hoping if you have one that your fairly local to me, which means Rochester/Buffalo NY area. My motors burned out and I don't think there is any repairing it.

Thanks!
that large of a motor is repairable...
just what part of it do you think burned up???...

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
A good motor shop can fix any motor, it's the value of the motor that makes it worth while. I would think that with a 5 hp model, you would be money ahead getting it repaired...

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
A good motor shop can fix any motor, it's the value of the motor that makes it worth while. I would think that with a 5 hp model, you would be money ahead getting it repaired...
I agree, it is worth having them look at it,while you search for a new one.
In the meantime google your motor and see what is available. I got a 3hp for my dust collector for half the price of the local shop, who said mine was toast. and it was free shipping to boot. It was a Dayton.

Herb

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I brought it in to one shop and he showed me where the 2-3 of the stator winding wires had burned apart. I called 3 different repair shops and got quotes from $550 to $800. It's a cheap Tiawanese motor, I'm better off getting a quality used one than dumping money into this one. Its a "ERAMOTOR", ever heard of them? neither has anyone else, and their not to be found online.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would go with the half speed motor and change out the pulley diameters to get the correct speed. Slower rpm motors tend to be more durable and Baldor is a good make.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I would go with the half speed motor and change out the pulley diameters to get the correct speed. Slower rpm motors tend to be more durable and Baldor is a good make.
you speed a 5hp motor up to 5,000 RPM you will lose a lot of power/torque...

·
Registered
10 Posts
you speed a 5hp motor up to 5,000 RPM you will lose a lot of power/torque...
You might be right Stick, but I always thought the formula was:
Power = Torque x RPM.
The torque would be halved but the doubled speed should generally keep the power about the same.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
You might be right Stick, but I always thought the formula was:
Power = Torque x RPM.
The torque would be halved but the doubled speed should generally keep the power about the same.
some seat of the pants figuring...

to take a 5 HP 1750 RPM motor to 5,000 RPM the motor would act like a 1.75 HP motor or there abouts...... (K= 2.85)

a 3450 RPM motor turning the blade at 5,000 RPM is delivering around 3.5 HP... (K= 1.44)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Stick, help me out here, I'd only be doubling the speed, from 1725 to 3450, however I doubt I have room to mess with that anyways. Still, I'd like to know. How are you doing the math?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We all know that there are motors sitting around in people's garages, sheds and barns, perfectly fine motors. That's what I'm looking for. I know where and how to spend money, I don't need any help with that. I'm trying to save money. ;)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: Daikusan

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jack, I know it is probably farther than you hoped to travel but you might Google then call Syracuse Armature on Burnet Avenue in Syracuse. About 20 years ago I was looking for a rebuilt motor and they had just what I was seeking for a lot less than a new one. Then, again, it HAS been 20 years and a) prices have gone up and b) my memory has started failing. Just sayin'!

·
Registered
10 Posts
one of those gizmos that works like slide ruler...
enter the values and look in the little window for the answer...

this is close.... it's got the math too...
It seems you are only taking the pulley factors into consideration here.
The Power=Torque x RPM for a 5 HP 1750 RPM motor would have about twice the torque of a 5 HP 3450 RPM motor. You seem to be leaving the doubled torque factor of a 1750 RPM motor out of your calculations.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paul, thanks, I will definitely consider that. It will need to be shipped and too often that's the stopper. But I will look them up.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
It seems you are only taking the pulley factors into consideration here.
The Power=Torque x RPM for a 5 HP 1750 RPM motor would have about twice the torque of a 5 HP 3450 RPM motor. You seem to be leaving the doubled torque factor of a 1750 RPM motor out of your calculations.
oops...
thanks for pointing that out...

Watts = volts * amps
1HP (horsepower) = 746 watts
Torque (T) = ((HP(horsepower) / RPM (rotations per minute))) * 63,025 (constant)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it would seem some good news! I took my motor to one shop for diagnosis, "DEAD". However a second opinion, (from a highly recommended shop), is that he can most likely splice the 2 burnt out wires. Exactly the type of hack I was looking for! If I knew more about these motors I would have attempted it myself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts