Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I can't even draw a leg in four minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill, maybe not at first but it goes pretty fast once you do it a couple of times. His #2 rule - Work in SketchUp the way you would in the shop - really helps to frame your efforts.

A square leg is really easy by first making a blank - draw a square (top view of the leg), and use push/pull to raise it to the length you want. Then work your blank. Use construction lines just like you would measure the work piece. You can put mortises in the sides by drawing the rectangle on the blank and use push/pull to push them to the depth you want. You can taper the leg by drawing the foot profile on the bottom of the blank and lines where you want the taper to start. Then draw lines to connect the taper edges. Delete any unwanted lines and you have a leg! Make it a component and then duplicate it 3 times.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Thanks for posting that Phil, I am going to definately try to wrap my old brain around Sketchup and see if I can learn it. I got too frustrated the last time I tried,and gave up.
Herb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks PhilBa for posting the video. Much easier to understand the video than the multitude of printed instructions it would have taken to convey the task.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tru dat! I wish the video wasn't so blurry. Not sure where that comes from. The vid I uploaded was pretty clear.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Bill, maybe not at first but it goes pretty fast once you do it a couple of times. His #2 rule - Work in SketchUp the way you would in the shop - really helps to frame your efforts.

A square leg is really easy by first making a blank - draw a square (top view of the leg), and use push/pull to raise it to the length you want. Then work your blank. Use construction lines just like you would measure the work piece. You can put mortises in the sides by drawing the rectangle on the blank and use push/pull to push them to the depth you want. You can taper the leg by drawing the foot profile on the bottom of the blank and lines where you want the taper to start. Then draw lines to connect the taper edges. Delete any unwanted lines and you have a leg! Make it a component and then duplicate it 3 times.
Phil,

You make is sound soooo easy! I try, but I get frustrated when SU does what it wants to do instead of what I want it to do.

I keep trying, and sooner or later I WILL get it...

Bill

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Biil, one of the problems with learning SU is to get into the mindset of the program. I fought it at first but there was an AHA! point where it started to click. Like I said earlier, watching some one put SU through it's paces helps a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts