Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a couple of photos of my second generation thickness sander, a 18"x36". My original build was a 25"x60", Much too large for my shop, but did give me the background for the 18x36 model.

There are some things I would change if I was to build a third, but this works fine and I want to get on with other projects.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Have a great day! "Canada Day" for us.

John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Now you're firing on all cylinders John, what an ambitious but successful project that is. What sort of feed-rate does it have and what sort of percentage of dust is collected? What was the original purpose for that geared motor and did you have much trial and error in getting the gearing just right? I can't stop with just four questions so what was the purpose in making the first one so gargantuian, for that matter this one I think is still quite large, what would a typical use be that required such a size.

Now that you have proven your credentials, I'm sure we all look forward to many more such posts.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
harrysin said:
Now you're firing on all cylinders John, what an ambitious but successful project that is. What sort of feed-rate does it have and what sort of percentage of dust is collected? What was the original purpose for that geared motor and did you have much trial and error in getting the gearing just right? I can't stop with just four questions so what was the purpose in making the first one so gargantuian, for that matter this one I think is still quite large, what would a typical use be that required such a size.

Now that you have proven your credentials, I'm sure we all look forward to many more such posts.
Our first model, 25x60, was a case of bigger is better. I found the widest I personally had to run was 18", and I found the bed did not have to be that long. Hence the smaller one.

I used a 39 rpm - 89 in lb - 1/12 HP - 115V motor for the belt, I used a two step gearing system, using chain as the method of drive. The sprocket went from 2" to 4", then went from 2" to 4" again, reducing my feed rate down to approximately 9 - 10 rpm. I have found this to be the best for this table. With only one reduction to approximately 18 - 19 RPM I found it way too fast. If I was to build another I would be sure to consider a variable speed gear drive, for the belt, for different woods it would pay to have the option of slowing or speeding up. (I used what I had)

Dust collection was my biggest worry, at 60 and a smoker (no lectures please :) ,I know) I wanted to remove as much dust as possible. My dust collector is a 1 HP system using a pleated filter. I have a 4" hose running to the dust pick-up. When I first tested without the the black flexible face, I found a lot of dust blew beyond the hood, (it looked like a snow storm). As it is, I get minimal dust, but the belt I choose to use collects dust in the grooves and drops on the floor. (mental note: build #3, thinner belt, smoother surface).

My planner is 13" and the things I have built are always 14" - 16" wide, of either, frames or solid laminated top. This seems to meet all my needs to this point. It is a nice, useful toy, and one I use a lot.

Some photos of my belt gearing system, and my dust system. The last photo is of my #1 table, with the hard ware.

Please ask any questions and please do comment, this is not the "end all of DIY tables", I am sure someone could take the concept and improve on it, As I post I will mention things I would improve on and with your ideas we could "build the perfect DIY table". :) :)

Thanks for viewing!
John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Thanks for the additional info. John, I'll be surprised if several copies aren't built by members.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
So John,

I'm guessing that when you were a young lad someone said ' you can't do that' and you probably said nothing, went and did whatever it was they said you couldn't do and you've been at it ever since.

I find you to be amazing, like many others on this site, tons of skills and determination.

Thanks for sharing,

Ed......:)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob

I did send the file to a gentleman in the USA about a month ago, I sent via regualr email. It is in a micro$oft word format, complete with photos, with my views. Golly, the things that could be improved. Yes I will e-mail you the file if you wish to go play. :) I know you could come up with some alernative ways.

How would you like to do it?
John

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi John

I just checked my hold box for my email, I could not find it..

PLEASE PLEASE resend it ...

Thanks
===========

Check twice! said:
Bob

I did send the file to a gentleman in the USA about a month ago, I sent via regualr email. It is in a micro$oft word format, complete with photos, with my views. Golly, the things that could be improved. Yes I will e-mail you the file if you wish to go play. :) I know you could come up with some alernative ways.

How would you like to do it?
John

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
On it's way GONE :)

Rolf send me your e mail, I will send you a copy.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Rolf

see file(s) below, to big to post as one file.

=========

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Bj

I was not sure how to put it on the forum.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Rolf and John

You'er Welcome, duck soup stuff.. :)

I wisk Mark would open the size just a bit... to 5mb files for PDF and ZIP stuff..O well..

==========

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys!

Ok Steve, we will call it "North American" built,,,,, American ingenuity, built with Canadian technology. I call that a joint effort. :) Two great countries join.

Any questions please ask, hope we see some builds, maybe with your ideas I can improve mine as well.

Have a great day, on this "Canada Day" of ours.

John

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.