Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a new house built in the Richmond, TX area by Del Webb and can't wait until it is finished. I plan to have a work shop in my new garage. I have always wanted a workshop, so this is my last shot. I purchased a Dewalt DWS780DWX726 Miter Saw complete with A stand. I also purchased a Porta-Cable Table Saw Model "PCB220TS. i have spent may hours on you-tube researching different types of Tables to mount these items. I alos bought a Dewalt DW618PK that I am not happy with. I am in the process of sending it back and getting a Bosch MRC23EVSK that I can mount on the underside of a table. The nice thing about this Router is the top side vertical adjustment that the Dewalt didn't have. I also didn't care for the adjustments on the Dewalt. The is a plastic store in Houston tha sells scrap plastic at a dollar a pound. Today I bought two sheets of Acrylic 3/8" thick to make my sled runners and insert plate for my router table.

I any really anxious to get going. I have been using Auto Cad for sever years and I am now using Sketch 2013 Pro that is ideal to design the complete unit with each piece detailed to within 1/32". Plus it is all in 3D.

I will be posting pictures as I go along.

Glad to be with you guys. If any of you use Sketchup, let me know what you think of the 2013 Version. I Don't care for it as much as I did the 2008 Version. Especially Layout. I am having a lot of issues with Layout.

Regards,

George
:moil::moil:

·
Super Moderator
John
6,941 Posts
Hello George, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
Theo
7,156 Posts
Welcome aboard Old Dude. I'm a tad younger than you, 72, going on 73.

This is the only version of Auto Cad I use, very reliable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Welcome aboard Old Dude. I'm a tad younger than you, 72, going on 73.

This is the only version of Auto Cad I use, very reliable.

+1

still the best...

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Hi George, welcome to the forum.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum George.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the site George. I like yourself use Autocad for work but have not tried Sketch, but I hear alot about it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hi George, and welcome.

I'm using 2008 still and like it. Learned a while back not to update without a reason just to get the "latest and greatest". What is it you don't like about Layout in 2013?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I work with AutoCAD every day.. I learned in 1988 on AutoCAD release 9 and worked my way up through the releases until my retirement in 2001. During those years passed, I learned how to customize AutoCAD and if I needed it to do something that it didn't do - I simply wrote an AutoLISP routine and added it in as required for the work I was doing. In 2001, I upgraded to new everything; including AutoCAD 2002. I still use my souped-up 2002 now. It serves me well. I do most of my work in 3d and send a good bit of my work out as .stl files for STereoLithography (rapid prototyping)...
The rapid proto people never believe me when I tell them I still use AutoCAD 2002 - they just see it as .stl format. I began drafting when masking tape was considered STATE OF THE ART for holding-down drawings (previously we used thumb tacks), so I've done this drafting the OLD-FASHIONED WAY and can really appreciate what the software has to offer. We even had 3d - WAY BACK THEN! It was called a model. Sometimes it took weeks for an architect to build a model of a complex building.

I looked into Sketch-Up, but for me it would be like jumping out of a perfectly good boat to begin swimming to shore. I'll stick to AutoCAD and my current skill set.

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
George, My (late) Dad was born 24 April, 1929. He died on 17 January 2012. If he were still alive - he would still be using AutoCAD almost every day. Keep-up the good work!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

1 - 15 of 15 Posts