Router Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
It's a sad day in the tool world - don't know which brands you can trust or not. Bosch is still owned by Bosch so they may be the holdout for quality. Guess to make and sell what we want is too cost intensive for them to make a buck. I'm all Bosch on power tools...
Bosch has a few duds...

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
the more I think about it....
the more I believe the center axis is off...
cheap bearings aren't helping the issue either...
That would explain a lot, and it was mentioned before that there may be a problem with the chassis alignment.
I think Ill throw both of mine in the dump before even trying them , and just buy the 1617 for my lift and be done with it . Sounds as though there going to be an issue at some point regardless.
Bosch’s 1617 seems reasonably priced also

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I have an idea. PC should include an extra set of bearings with the purchase, just to make it last beyound the warrentee period. Or maybe sell the router w/o bearings and let the customer find and replace the bearings. Just thinking out loud,
Herb

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
I have an idea. PC should include an extra set of bearings with the purchase, just to make it last beyound the warrentee period. Or maybe sell the router w/o bearings and let the customer find and replace the bearings. Just thinking out loud,
Herb
But the problem may be bigger than that Herb . If there’s an alignment issue with the rotor , than it’s pretty much a write off .
And if you read my thread with the amazon review , the bearing no longer sits properly in the chassis , causing play .
There pretty much paper weights from what I’m gathering, and to think I spent over $1,000 on two of them back in the day .
I’m pretty sure they were garbage back in 2014 when I purchased mine . Not sure how far you had to go back to get a reliable one

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
My favorite router used to be Porter Cable but you can't talk me into buying one now. I still use my old Porter Cable routers now, have one in my router table, but if buying a new one I'd be looking at Bosch first.

It does sound like something is just not right about that router, if it is poor machining of the parts that could cause the overheating problem, but the big question is how many have the same problem. That could point to a quality control/inspection problem in the manufacturing process. If not caught in time or at all, it is a hit or miss proposition when buying a new router from them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks everyone for your input. After some slightly spirited discussion with the repair center manager, I am moving forward with getting a refund for the cost of the router from Porter Cable.

I am going thru him to get it from PC corporate so it will be about 6 weeks to get the refund but I am free of the problem child router and in the end he did help me solve the issue.

There are lemons in every brand. I am not condemning PC but would just as soon not take another chance on PC. In this case according the service manager there are no replacement routers available at this time so that lets me off the hook on that account.

So………………….. I do not want to get rid of my Jessem lift and I want a 3 hp router for my table. Unless one of you raises a hand says “don’t do it” I planning on getting a Milwaukee 5625-20. Home Depot is offering one for almost the same price as my PC. Per the reviews it may have the same switch dirt issues that my Bosch 23 had but I guess I am used to that.

It is surprising that as lifts become more popular, fewer 3 hp routers are being offered that are lift compatible.

Thank you all again for letting me vent.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Possible heating issues: Misalignment of Housing bearing fits, (replacing bearings will not correct)
Undersized fit (bearing OD) does not allow for thermal growth. Typical clearance is: .0005-.0015 loose to bearing OD.
Replacing bearings will not correct this issue also.

These two, along with other conditions that were mentioned could cause repeated heating with or without an amperage load.

The problem lies that most technicians do not have the experience to understand or know to check for these minor flaws.
There is probably minimal QC checks during, and after.
All of this cost money, and cuts into the profit margin.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. After some slightly spirited discussion with the repair center manager, I am moving forward with getting a refund for the cost of the router from Porter Cable.

I am going thru him to get it from PC corporate so it will be about 6 weeks to get the refund but I am free of the problem child router and in the end he did help me solve the issue.

There are lemons in every brand. I am not condemning PC but would just as soon not take another chance on PC. In this case according the service manager there are no replacement routers available at this time so that lets me off the hook on that account.

So………………….. I do not want to get rid of my Jessem lift and I want a 3 hp router for my table. Unless one of you raises a hand says “don’t do it” I planning on getting a Milwaukee 5625-20. Home Depot is offering one for almost the same price as my PC. Per the reviews it may have the same switch dirt issues that my Bosch 23 had but I guess I am used to that.

It is surprising that as lifts become more popular, fewer 3 hp routers are being offered that are lift compatible.

Thank you all again for letting me vent.
Milwaukee motors are decent...
talk to JessEm.. they sell a 3+ HP motor w/ external speed control.. at least they did...

what issue did you have w/ the 23???

what ever you do, vent the motor... scroll down to find the discussion in this here link...

Reactions: Charlie68

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Stick

I had the 23 in a Bosch table. Every so often it would stop running. The led lights on the motor would remain lit indicating the motor had power. After reading some review complaints found that dust was prone to get into the on/off switch in the handle. I got into the habit of blowing out the switch after each job. That seems to make the problem go away. I also took the handle apart and blew it out every 12 -18 months.

I was too lazy to deal with Bosch to get a new switch or see if they had a fix. When I used the 23 as a fixed base router, I really liked the concept of having the switch in the router handles instead of having to remove my hand from the tool to shut it off. It was a good machine.

I turned over both the router and table to my son. I still have a 1617 and Bosch palm router. Called Bosch today and asked them to get back into the over 3 hp router market. I was told "maybe someday" oh well.

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Bosch CS/TS is outstanding...
call them..
they fixed a couple of mine that were more than 10 years out of warranty...

FWIW.. hold up on the compressed air an go w/ vacuum...

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Well out of curiosity I ran mine on the bench for three minutes at full speed . The chassis warmed up a bit but the collet was barely warm to the touch .
I’ve heard horror stories with brand new ones out of the box that were having issues , so maybe mine is ok . Guess time will tell .
For as much as I’m going to use it , I suspect the crappy bearings will last forever .
I must say the things a beast . When set to high , even with soft start you really gotta hang onto it .
And I never realized how much air flow comes out of the head till now

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
[/QUOTE]FWIW.. hold up on the compressed air an go w/ vacuum...[/QUOTE]

I don’t know what FWIW means but dog gone it Stick you don’t miss a thing. Bad as my wife. The lovely nurse I have been married to for 45 years is always on me about safety.

You are very correct that it is always better to capture contaminants than blow them around in the air especially now a days.

Good Safety Catch!

(I get on my computer to escape the wife’s lectures and I get caught here!) There is no rest for the wicked. lol

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I also see I don't know how to post a quote

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
FWIW.. hold up on the compressed air an go w/ vacuum...
1... I don’t know what FWIW means
2... but dog gone it Stick you don’t miss a thing.
3... Bad as my wife.
4... You are very correct that it is always better to capture contaminants than blow them around in the air especially now a days.

Good Safety Catch!

(I get on my computer to escape the wife’s lectures and I get caught here!) There is no rest for the wicked. lol
1... For What It's Worth...
2... I missed my afternoon snack, pre-nap and actual nap...
3... WHOA!!! Oh boy... prayers to you...
4... There are places in your tool that you DO NOT want to inject swarf into... So not beneficial to the tool as in you can ruin/destroy it.......

FWIW...
NEVER use canned air on tools...

because of flammable ingredients...
When canned gas is tilted, the liquefied and highly flammable gas can be released into the air and onto surfaces it contacts. This can be especially dangerous in poorly ventilated areas. When a flammable atmosphere is created, flames, sparks and electrical switches can ignite the concentrated gas, causing a flash fire.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Stick
I have a air compressor but good point about canned air. A bit of trivia, at work it was common practice to turn the can upside down and use the cold propellent/Freon to hunt for components failing when heating up. Times change

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick
I have a air compressor but good point about canned air. A bit of trivia, at work it was common practice to turn the can upside down and use the cold propellent/Freon to hunt for components failing when heating up. Times change
Freon sometimes, butane more often...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I also see I don't know how to post a quote
Use the "Reply with Quote" button. If you want to reply about a specific part of someones post you can go into the quoted text and delete the parts that don't apply just like you can delete parts of your own text.

And for the advanced user, if you would like to insert replies to different parts of a quote you can do that too. Any quote starts with the word QUOTE in brackets and ends with the slash and the word quote in brackets. You can go the where you would like to insert a reply and type in the left bracket, /QUOTE, and then the right bracket. That section will then be quoted separately. Once you finish replying type the word quote in brackets again and the rest will remain quoted as before. You can do that as many times as you want. It usually helps to color your text a different color when you do that. Click on the capital letter A in the menu bar and you'll get a palette of colors to pick from.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts