Router Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
cursor the reply header icons for what they do....
advanced gives you more icons....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: Charlie68

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
same thing today..
I missed my afternoon snack, pre-nap and actual nap...

Trying to do a quote again.

I don't know about you Stick but I get a little cranky when I miss my snack so hopefully I have don't anything to upset you:smile:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Worked that time. thanks for the help everyone

Reactions: Stick486

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Trying to do a quote again.

I don't know about you Stick but I get a little cranky when I miss my snack so hopefully I have don't anything to upset you:smile:
slept right through 2 snacks and 4 naps...
good reason to get cranky...

Reactions: Charlie68

·
Registered
5 Posts
I need to hear from someone who has purchased a 3 ¼ horse Porter Cable router motor since the first of the year. I am looking at that time period because I know in the past Porter Cable made a good product.

Haven't purchased a PC router this year, nor the last 10-15 yrs. Can't help you there Charlie. I agree with the bearing as an issue.
I own about a dozen PC routers, 5 of the 3 1/4 hp, 6+ of the 1 3/4 hp. Several mounted semi permanent on laminated 24x24x3/4 ply,
so I can pull out what profile needed for project. Same with the cabinet door profiles. Some used for the job site.
Have only bought 1 or 2 new (20 yrs ago). The rest I purchased used from shops I have worked at, flea markets, pawn shops, or other tradesmen.
All of them are at least 15 yrs old, several 25+ yrs
I have never had a failure. And only replaced one plastic motor fan that I broke by accident.
I do have an ancient very small PC plastic laminate trimmer I rebuilt, because I abused it on job sited overloading w/too large of a bits.
PC made good quality products. I still have my old 3x24 A3 worm drive, from probably the 50's-60's.
Black and Decker was one of the first to sell out their name. Others then followed, so I do not buy much new shop tools, except the cordless tools.
When I started my carpentry trade many moons ago, friends would ask to borrow my drill or skill saw, or come by to get me to rip some plywood.
Very few people had wood working tools except the tradesmen. Then the cheaper consumer line of tools hit the market.
Today, everybody, house wives and hobbyist, has more tools than I do, affordably, all from china.
The old dependable tool names are mostly now all cheap china junk. I buy tools if it is old,and has zerk fittings. Maintain able...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks Gary
I went ahead and got a Milwaukee 5625. PC Corporate is refunding my money on the 7518. As I said we all get lemons now and then but I was really disappointed in the Dewalt repair center in Denver. If I had gone to the Minnesota repair center maybe things would have been better.

Home Depot had the Milwaukee router for only $15 more than the PC so life is not that bad.

A lot of this is really on me. I was in a hurry to work on a project so I put the PC router in service as soon as I got it. I did not take the time to check the unit when I got it, doing any stress testing, getting a base line etc. I can’t say lesson learned because I knew better.
The Milwaukee weighs less than the PC tho it claims to be 3 ½ hp while the PC is a 3 ¼ unit. The Milwaukee router motor runs cool with no load for an
extended time. As a stress test I put a 3 ½ inch raised panel bit in it and tried to take a full cut through soft pine (yes I know not acceptable usage but it was a STRESS test). I was able to shut the router down. I wish I had tried the same cut with the PC so I could compare. I am not sure I could have shut the PC down doing the same test. Overall the PC router felt like a beefier unit.

The Milwaukee is nice; its base has a better lift design than Bosch for being mounted under a table if you don’t want to buy a separate lift. Comparing my Bosch to the Milwaukee, the Milwaukee’s motor case is slick and slides in its base. My Bosch’s case feels like fine sandpaper. I sometimes had minor issues with moving it up and down under my table.

If I had the budget I would look for an older PC router motor and use the Milwaukee for a spare. There are just too many people using the PC to say the unit is not a good unit. I would do my own repair tho.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 3 high amperage routers. They include 3 Hitachi M12v plunge routers, 2 of which reside in tables and one that is used free-hand. I also have the Festool OF-2200, which is used free-hand. None of them get beyond warm spinning a bit no-load for 3 to 5 minutes. The same can be said of my several Porter Cable 690 & 890 Series routers, 3 of which are table mounted. DEMAND a replacement!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Count count on Thursday’s... I have FOUR high amperage routers. HP ratings are for marketing departments! It’s wattage divided by 745. Anything else is pure hokem. 3.5 HP would be over 2600 watts or nearly 22 amps at 120. Volts. Try that on your 15 amp circuit breaks kiddies!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Count count on Thursday’s... I have FOUR high amperage routers. HP ratings are for marketing departments! It’s wattage divided by 745. Anything else is pure hokem. 3.5 HP would be over 2600 watts or nearly 22 amps at 120. Volts. Try that on your 15 amp circuit breaks kiddies!
have a read..

Attachments

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Hey all , I found a buyer for my 75182’s . His only concern was that they had to be Type 3 .
I didn’t know this till I checked mine , and they are both Type 3 .
Is that a good thing ?

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I need to hear from someone who has purchased a 3 ¼ horse Porter Cable router motor since the first of the year. I am looking at that time period because I know in the past Porter Cable made a good product.

I ordered mine May 5th and got it 2 weeks later. I built a router table for it and got the unit in service 1st part of June. I noticed the bits were hot when I removed them from the unit. To test the motor, I let the router sit overnight. Next morning I ran the router with no load/ no bit for 3 minutes. The collect was so hot I could not hold my fingers against it.

Porter Cable does not publish a phone number on their web site I had to do the email form. A week later their customer rep sent me a link to start the warranty repair process.

My nearest repair center is Denver so I shipped the unit there 7-13-20. Per UPS tracking the unit arrived at the repair center 7-14-20.

I received the unit back today 8-19-20 with the same over heating issue. According to the service order enclosed with the router, they had changed just about every part of it. I called the Denver repair center and was told that “we changed almost all of the parts TWICE. Please send the unit back and we will try to exchange or replace it.”
I asked if it was going take another month to get a different unit and was told to be sure to enclose the service order. The repair tech said
hopefully that will help speed up the process.

To say I am upset does not even come close.

The point of my question: Am I just under a bad cloud or have others had this hot collect problem?

Also if you are looking to buy one of these routers, test the unit as soon as you get it.
It could be that that large router is not intended to be mounted upside down on a table. I had a lot of bearing trouble with table mounted routers, years ago. these were smaller units with no variable speed control.

We always had at couple of 3-1/4 hp PCs in the shop. We used them for all the cutting of 1.125 inch particle board used in counter tops etc. We would screw the router to a board of the right length for the radius of a curve then just pivot around a screw or dowel drilled into our wood floor.

We once did an Oak communion rail with a 30 foot radius. In my commercial shop we would use the router to make curved ribs for furniture parts that were wrapped with bendable plywood, such as 3 ply Luan or 1/8 bending Birch. We could then laminate or cover with flexable veneer. Picture quality is not good because I re photographed old 35mm prints.

Attachments

41 - 53 of 53 Posts