Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys I improvised and it drove me crazy as I had to clamp the clamps to the wood for storage . It was kind of a hassle getting them in and out so I'm trying to build something a little better .
This is what I was doing to get by

So for the new attempt I dadoed out a slot in a piece of wood to hold a 1/2" piece of mdf in tightly . Got this idea from you guys when I seen this done to make consistent box joints

So I secured the wood to my GI miter gauge at 2-1/2" as that seemed like a fairly good space to provide room for enough for each clamp to sit by each other .

I increased the size of the dado stack by a few thousands so that I could lift the 2/6 off and on easily as I dadaod each slot . This is the coolest idea I've seen for consistency

So here it's held up temporarily to see if it will be a viable idea

I'm thinking about maybe attaching a 2/4 vertically to the back of this 2/6 to secure it to the wall .
The slots are 1/2" wide and I'm almost thinking I should have gone a little thinner ,but the clamps appear to sit in there so so .
I'm going to cut this one and instead of going behind the drill press I'll build two seperate ones around it .
Anyone have any thoughts to improve upon a clamp storage rack as I don't really know of any other way to go about this ?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Rick , just out of curiosity would you try turning the clamps around 180* and then see if the clamp (both jaws) will sit on top of that board without falling off? I clamp my small ones to a 1 x mounted under my bench like you are doing, minus the grooves, but unclamping them and then reclamping them back onto the board is becoming a PITA. If they will sit in a groove like that it would save a lot of time. Or maybe the answer is to mortice a bunch of rectangular holes in a board like that and then I could just slide them into the holes. Thanks, you got me thinking.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Charles I turned them around and they didn't sit as well , kinda sat there precariously .
I'm thinking about making the slots a little tighter . It's no real hardship to start over as this is kind of a test.

I was going to start on my work bench drawers but accessing the clamps is really getting on my nerves so I want to address this first before I proceed .
Should be a fairly simple project I hope .

Reactions: old55

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Here's an article showing several different racks to make, depending on what you're trying to store. I have many more as it seems that the various magazines are always running articles on clamp storage.

I have the problem of not having enough wall space to hang the racks, and bought this Pack Rack® Clamp & Tool Storage System - Rockler Woodworking Tools which is kind of a compromise. The thought was that the rack could be rolled to where I was working so that the clamps would be at hand but my "assembly area" usually winds up where the motorbike lives and the rack is on the opposite corner of the shop and not easily rolled over sometimes. One of the drawbacks to the design is that some of the clamps fall off easily, particularly pipe clamps - Rockler now makes sheet metal racks for specific types of clamps that bolt to the frame to address this, I may have to look into them at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
My struggle with clamp storage left me with several boxes that suit the different sizes. The boxes keep the clamps stored upright so not a lot of wall or floor space is taken. They sit in a corner until I need them. My short ones (6", 12") are in small canvas tool bags...they pile on each other easy enough. Also lets me be portable...

Nice job, Rick...I think if I had the wall space I would copy your design...like it...

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick , just out of curiosity would you try turning the clamps around 180* and then see if the clamp (both jaws) will sit on top of that board without falling off? I clamp my small ones to a 1 x mounted under my bench like you are doing, minus the grooves, but unclamping them and then reclamping them back onto the board is becoming a PITA. If they will sit in a groove like that it would save a lot of time. Or maybe the answer is to mortice a bunch of rectangular holes in a board like that and then I could just slide them into the holes. Thanks, you got me thinking.
Charles your idea would work for me with the Bessey clamps but I can't turn the Irwins around as there handles get in the way . I'm going to dado on less deep and a little narrower and call it a day . I think it will be much better than what I was doing

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Charles,
Ross aka as Old55 showed me an interesting pic and there's a ridge at the front so they don't slide off . That would be easy enough to dado in and would work great for the Irwins . And maybe if I try your idea the Besseys would work to . Gotta hit the shop and see :)

The more I think about it I suspect it's not going to work with the Besseys as I can't go any deeper with my dado slot , and they would need to be pushed back further to fall into place , but I think I'll dedicate one rack for the Irwins and one for the big K clamps

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also seen clamps hung upside down, not sure if I'm liking that idea ?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Here's an article showing several different racks to make, depending on what you're trying to store. I have many more as it seems that the various magazines are always running articles on clamp storage.

I have the problem of not having enough wall space to hang the racks, and bought this Pack Rack® Clamp & Tool Storage System - Rockler Woodworking Tools which is kind of a compromise. The thought was that the rack could be rolled to where I was working so that the clamps would be at hand but my "assembly area" usually winds up where the motorbike lives and the rack is on the opposite corner of the shop and not easily rolled over sometimes. One of the drawbacks to the design is that some of the clamps fall off easily, particularly pipe clamps - Rockler now makes sheet metal racks for specific types of clamps that bolt to the frame to address this, I may have to look into them at some point.

Or this...

This is what I am using right now...utilizing French Cleats. I can hang everything from my 50" Bessy Revos and 3/4" pipe clamps down to my 4" "F" clamps. By utilizing the French Cleats I can configure the individual section of rack in any orientation to fit the clamps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or this...

This is what I am using right now...utilizing French Cleats. I can hang everything from my 50" Bessy Revos and 3/4" pipe clamps down to my 4" "F" clamps. By utilizing the French Cleats I can configure the individual section of rack in any orientation to fit the clamps.
Well I see that I better make some larger slots for pipe clamps . I never thought of plywood, it looks nicer than what I'm going to do but I think I'm going to try my idea first as I don't want to loose any room from supports underneith .

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Well I see that I better make some larger slots for pipe clamps . I never thought of plywood, it looks nicer than what I'm going to do but I think I'm going to try my idea first as I don't want to loose any room from supports underneith .
Think it through, Rick! How are you going to attach the racks? If you fasten them right to the studs, their permanent. If you use a french cleat they are easily moved and reconfigured.

You are not loosing that much from the supports underneath. The design I sent allows for easy attachment of the cleats.

I'll take a couple of photos of my set-up and post them so you can get a better visual.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think it through, Rick! How are you going to attach the racks? If you fasten them right to the studs, their permanent. If you use a french cleat they are easily moved and reconfigured.

You are not loosing that much from the supports underneath. The design I sent allows for easy attachment of the cleats.

I'll take a couple of photos of my set-up and post them so you can get a better visual.
Well in heading to HD so I better make up my mind on material . Tough call :|

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Here are some photos so that you can get and idea...

Every bit of the racks came from scrap pieces.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
All of those rack ideas look really nice. The problem is...wall space. That is what I don't have. I think I need to have a house cleaning...again! :surprise::grin:

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
@bill , nice work

@Ray , mobility would be a cool idea and if I had a bigger garage I'd consider that for sure . Just makes sense ;)

@Charles . Good call on the K clamps . It makes way more sense to have the handles towards the user .

I am dadoed as deep as I can go and if I had to there is enough room to dadoe the rest of the wood down creating a 1/4" ridge in the front top to stop them from falling off.

Instead of dadoing the board I could easily glue and Brad nail little squares on the end to create a stop .

But that will create problems with other styles of clamps , so I'm going to just go like this and cut the back of the board at a 5 degree angle so that there less inclined to fall off , plus I'm going to narrow the gaps so they sit in a little better , not so that they sit tight , but closer tolerances with less wiggle room

·
Registered
657 Posts
What do you guys think about Norm Abram's rolling clamp cart ? Looks pretty easy to make and seems to hold a fair amount of clamps.

Gary

1 - 20 of 147 Posts