Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the wall tool cabinet. The right side door of the cabinet was to be for layout tools making those near the table saw and workbench. The problem had been that they were being kept in a drawer on the outfeed table which made it hard to see sometimes if covered by other stuff. Sort of an issue with deep drawers so I thought on the door it would be clearly displayed. This is the door only and the cabinet will hold the other layout tools. Some tools I've had but not used as they were either not out in front of me or I hadn't thought of them. Being displayed on the door cures that. Funny thing about that word "cures'" if spelt wrong as I had before correcting it spells "curse". And that may well be the case but we'll see.

The holders are not finished at this point but are cut out and in place. I'm particularly proud of my holder for the Starrett combination square. It was a piece of maple I already had a 45 degree cut on and originally it was just holding the square by the 45 degree cut but I decided I wanted it a bit sturdier and thought that raising the table saw blade about a 1/2" for the rule to rest in would make it more stable. Worked like a gem. The Calipers are in a wood frame of sorts that needs a lock to keep from coming out when the door is opened/closed. I can use a rare earth magnet flush with the door or cut a small block the same thickness and put under the caliper with a turning handle to lock in place.

That's the real challenge is finding a way to display but protect the tools from falling out when the door is moved. The Incra rules rest on a ledge with rare earth magnets to hold in place. Forstner bits were used to flush the magnets. Of course any of this is subject to change as needed. Now onto the left door and the screwdrivers.....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Very nice, Steve...gives me ideas for my cabinets...thanks

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
nicely done Steve..

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
or to stop by and pick it up...

@sreilly

Steve...Stick's post has me a little concerned for the safety and security of this most beautiful work of art. I thought I would introduce my services to you. Eastern Ole Arn Restoration and Security, LLC is proud to offer its security services...and for a limited introductory offer the services are free for just the cost of shipping.

Our services are offered to the discriminating craftsman for secure storage of their tools and accessories in a secret location within Superman's Fortress of Solitude. As you know, the location of the Fortress is unknown to anyone except Superman. I have contracted with Superman to allow space in his Fortress.

The security of your piece is so safe that not even you will know its exact location. Of course, when you choose to terminate our services, the item will be returned to you as soon as Superman is available to locate your item and provide the necessary shipping.

I would suggest taking advantage of this offer in light of the threat implied in Stick's post.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've plans to build a larger and deeper cabinet for the planes and spokeshaves to be stored. The basic plane holder is partially started already.......now to build the cabinet they'll reside in...

This cabinet will be solid maple I think. I really like maple, well I really, really like walnut but I like maple's price:) and the maple reminds me of those young impressionable 2 years I spent in Junior High shop class. Those wall cabinets were made of maple and I went to those cabinets many times in those 2 years. I owe a good deal of thanks and respect for those two teachers for what they instilled in us. And for the life of me I can't remember but one of their names, never mind got it..... Mr. Mac and Mr. Ore. Whew that was a deep dive. Having to do more of those these days it seems. Might need to get a pressurized tank if I go much deeper.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@sreilly

Steve...Stick's post has me a little concerned for the safety and security of this most beautiful work of art. I thought I would introduce my services to you. Eastern Ole Arn Restoration and Security, LLC is proud to offer its security services...and for a limited introductory offer the services are free for just the cost of shipping.

Our services are offered to the discriminating craftsman for secure storage of their tools and accessories in a secret location within Superman's Fortress of Solitude. As you know, the location of the Fortress is unknown to anyone except Superman. I have contracted with Superman to allow space in his Fortress.

The security of your piece is so safe that not even you will know its exact location. Of course, when you choose to terminate our services, the item will be returned to you as soon as Superman is available to locate your item and provide the necessary shipping.

I would suggest taking advantage of this offer in light of the threat implied in Stick's post.
Oh I think I've met you before...in court was it? The dead giveaway was the Superman shipping. Everyone knows SM flies everywhere and would deliver it personally, usually meeting at a phone booth.......oh wait, I see your point now. I guess it would be probably UPS.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@sreilly

see...
it's you...
smooth move...

·
Registered
21,693 Posts
Steve, that is a really nice and practical case. When finished it will look even better. I also like the way you've cut out the support pieces, and using a piano hinge to support what quickly adds up the pounds. Looking forward to seeing the other side.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
You have got to post an image or two of your shop John.
Nope - not yet. Kind of ashamed after seeing some of these show places.

I firmly believe organized people lack the ambition to look for things. lol

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Nope - not yet. Kind of ashamed after seeing some of these show places.

I firmly believe organized people lack the ambition to look for things. lol
they don't lack the ambition - they're just too lazy...

Reactions: sreilly
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.