Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found this area and I hope this would be the appropriate place to post this question. In my introduction I explained that I am new to this hobby and wanted to try my hand out routing. I had done this like 38 years ago. I also have recently completed a remodeling job on our house so I am not to new, but in project woodworking very new. I purchased a Dewalt 611 trim router that I heard does amazing things and since it was cheaper I wanted to see how I did with it before jumping full in. So I will be doing small project like box making for a trash can, TV stand, and maybe end tables. I will be working with 3/4" sanded board probably Birch from the large stores to start. Can someone advise to me in the radii I should use when dealing with 3/4" board size, and also I read in my research that I should not buy a 3/8" radius while using a 1/4" shank. Is this correct? Is there another hard rules when dealing with the smaller shank on my trim router? I am looking to get about 5 bits from a reputable company can anyone recommend a couple I should look into for the bits I get? I know Diablo in the saw blade area is very good are their router bits up to that level as well? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Small trim routers are very handy, I have four of them and often set them up differtly to do groove and tenon joins and that makes it fast as each one does a differnt job, so there is nothing wrong with having a trim rourter as a first step, they only use 1/4 shafted cutters so you can't use them for heavy cuts. That a real lesson, you can't uses a small router or a small cutter to do heavy cuts, for heavy cuts you need 1/2 shaftered cutters and a router with more horse power. N

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
What do you want to do with the router? Trim routers are typically used for very light work such as trimming the edges of laminate. You can use them for doing fancy edges but only use 1/4" bits. I doubt that you could do a mortise even if the router could plunge. Check out MLCS for bits. They are inexpensive and of decent quality. Don't invest in high-priced bits. If you decide to get into routing you will not be using your 1/4 inch very often.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you want to do with the router? Trim routers are typically used for very light work such as trimming the edges of laminate. You can use them for doing fancy edges but only use 1/4" bits. I doubt that you could do a mortise even if the router could plunge. Check out MLCS for bits. They are inexpensive and of decent quality. Don't invest in high-priced bits. If you decide to get into routing you will not be using your 1/4 inch very often.

Thanks for the input. I basically will only be using this trim router for cleaning up edges, creating decorative edges, or cleaning joints (dados, rabbets, and so on). I have read that with the smaller 1/4" shanks you should not use a round over bit with a radius of more than 1/4. Is that correct? Is it possible to use up to 3/8" in radius? Are there any other things I should consider when buying bits for this trim router so I do not put undue stress on the motor or create burn marks that I would just need to sand out?

By the way my only projects at this time will be using 3/4" sanded plywood at the local big box stores. I think Pine, Birch, and Sandie are my options.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Thanks for the input. I basically will only be using this trim router for cleaning up edges, creating decorative edges, or cleaning joints (dados, rabbets, and so on). I have read that with the smaller 1/4" shanks you should not use a round over bit with a radius of more than 1/4. Is that correct? Is it possible to use up to 3/8" in radius? Are there any other things I should consider when buying bits for this trim router so I do not put undue stress on the motor or create burn marks that I would just need to sand out?

By the way my only projects at this time will be using 3/4" sanded plywood at the local big box stores. I think Pine, Birch, and Sandie are my options.

Thanks
There's no reason why you can't use 3/8 1/4 shafted round cutters in a trimmer router, I do, burning is normally blunt and overloaded cutters, you will know if you are overloading the bits but with sharp bits then a 1/4 shafted 3/8 cutter will cut ply quite well. N

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Buying plywood from a big box store vs a local lumber source can be a real education. You do not get what you pay for at the big box stores when it comes to quality wood. You get convenience, maybe, but certainly not good wood. Don't take my word for it. Take the time to look and compare price vs quality between the two sources. It may cost you a few % more at the local places, but the quality will be incredibly better.

Charley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's no reason why you can't use 3/8 1/4 shafted round cutters in a trimmer router, I do, burning is normally blunt and overloaded cutters, you will know if you are overloading the bits but with sharp bits then a 1/4 shafted 3/8 cutter will cut ply quite well. N
Thanks. So my top 5 bits as a beginner would be what? I have read that many go buy a big set and in in reality they only use about 5 to 10 at the most. I would prefer to buy 5 or ten with an more quality and expensive bit, rather than a set that may have more, less quality and cost less but never use them all. I was thinking about either Diablo, or Freud bits. I was curious any thoughts on the quality as both are very similar in price, or any other brands, that the skillful people on this forum have had good success with?

So far the 5 I was cionsidering as my first purchase are the Straight, Flush, Rabbet, Round Over, Roman Ogee. Is this a good starting set?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buying plywood from a big box store vs a local lumber source can be a real education. You do not get what you pay for at the big box stores when it comes to quality wood. You get convenience, maybe, but certainly not good wood. Don't take my word for it. Take the time to look and compare price vs quality between the two sources. It may cost you a few % more at the local places, but the quality will be incredibly better.

Charley
Thanks I think in Chattanooga as far a lumber yards I am limited. I really only use the local box for convenience. My first couple project will probably be a thash can for the kitchen, and a ex large basic TV stand with some compartments. Once I gain experience I think I remember someone telling me in Knoxville TN there is a lumber yard and a good one from what I rememeber that I can travel to once my level gets to this point. I have seen a couple basic projects on Youtube that have used 3/4" Sanded Birch from the box stores and theirs looked really good. Once I prefect those type projects at that point I could look for the better wood. Thanks

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Thanks. So my top 5 bits as a beginner would be what? I have read that many go buy a big set and in in reality they only use about 5 to 10 at the most. I would prefer to buy 5 or ten with an more quality and expensive bit, rather than a set that may have more, less quality and cost less but never use them all. I was thinking about either Diablo, or Freud bits. I was curious any thoughts on the quality as both are very similar in price, or any other brands, that the skillful people on this forum have had good success with?

So far the 5 I was considering as my first purchase are the Straight, Flush, Rabbet, Round Over, Roman Ogee. Is this a good starting set?
Don't buy a big set. those cutters are not always great cutters and you will get cutters you will never use, buy cutters individually and just buy the ones you will use and get the best ones you can afford, good cutters are worth sharpening to use again, there are many sources of good cutters inc precisionbits.com I have many of their cutters and not unhappy with any of them, local guys can also tell you where they get their cutters, just don't buy cheap cutters or ones you have no plan for

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Buy a set. Why? Because you don't know what you need and will never know without having the bits to try. I bought a big set years ago and they are still my go to bits. Take an Ogee bit for example, there are several sizes and you will find that one project will require one size and another a different size. The same goes for rounding over and cove bits for that matter all bits. Buying bits individually gets very expensive. Bits are disposables just like saw blades. Sure you may get more life out of a $50 dollar bit than a $15 dollar bit but unlike a saw blade, you won't be using the same bit day after day. So even though a saw blade is disposable it makes more sense to spend more on a better blade. If you buy bits individually you'll regret it. Want to make a picture frame? Well, first head down to Woodcraft then spend an hour trying to decide what will look good come back much poorer, and make your one cut. Then put the bit away until the next time you want to make something. When that time comes your only choice is the 1/2" what ever bit and hope that it looks good. You have no chance to experiment with different profiles or combinations of profiles. The last thing to consider is how long are you going to be satisfied with a 1/4" trim router? If you invest $100 in random 1/4" bits are you going to be willing to abandon them for something better? One last thing if you plan on doing edging profiles you will find that using a router table with feather boards is a much better way to go than trying to do it freehand.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
For low priced, but very good, router bits, consider Woodline router bits Woodline USA - Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Woodworking Tools phone 1-800-472-6950 or email [email protected]. They are in Eastern Tennessee. I have bought many router bits from them over the years, and have always been satisfied with their products. Ask for a catalog, or look at it online to select what you want.

Charley

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.