Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I think that it varies with the make of the router, from memory it's around a 1/2"

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Let me just add that in my opinion the MUSCLECHUCK is one of the greatest improvements in router technology probably since routers were invented. All three of my 1/2" routers have MUSCLECHUCKS. Their grip is several times that of a standard collet chuck and only requires a half turn of a 4mm, preferably ball ended Allen key to secure and release the bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Just been surfing their web site. its very confusing. if you buy a musclechuck, does a 12 mm cutter fit straight in? or do you need a 12 mm collet as well?

If I wanted a musclechuck to take 6 mm, 8 mm, 12 mm and 3/8", how many collets would I need in total?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Bob according to what I've read you'll need one for every size that isn't 1/2" but I could be wrong. With any other router you usually get a 1/4 and/or 1/2 (in North America) and any other size requires a bushing.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
whats confusing me is when I buy a 1/2" (12 mm) router, I dont need to buy a 1/2" (12 mm) collet.
That page seems to suggest that I would.
So if the chuck comes with one collet, will the 12 mm fit straight in and I can have a 6 mm as the one collet?

I might email them to find out.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Harry, the question is do I need a 12 mm collet?

My makita takes 12 mm straight from the box, then I have sleeves that fit inside that collet to reduce to other sizes.

The musclechuck offer is ONE chuck and ONE collet, so do I have to have a 12 mm collet to fit 12 mm in to that chuck?

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Bob, a Musclechuck adds 5/8" and there is an extended version of the Type 1 that is longer. 1/2" is not 12 mm and you need a bushing to use 12 mm bits in the Musclechuck; this bushing is high precision and made in the USA.

Bushings are available in a wide range of sizes both Imperial and metric.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
To be specific, if your Makita router comes with a 12mm chuck then when you replace it with a MUSCLECHUCK which only accepts 1/2" bits you will require a reducer sleeve 1/2" to 12mm available from the web site:

Collets | Musclechuck Assembly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.