Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife had surgery so I have not been making things lately. However, she is doing great and healing well so today I was able to get back to making signs.

My customer has been most understanding and patient. Thanks to her!!!

Anybody know how to stop my phone from rotating pictures when I post them? It's not oriented like that in my phone. This is so frustrating.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Very nice! Good job, Al.

Glad to hear that the wife is doing better.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill, I use a Galaxy S4. Gonna upgrade to a Galaxy 6 in 2 or 3 months.

Been down the "ITUNES BLACK HOLE" and found my way out. No more iPhones for me.....or any Apple products. It's not the Apples I dislike.....it's being tied to iTunes and how easily they can wreck a PC.....and how they could care less to offer help.

Reactions: billyjim

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Hi Frank:
First, nice work on the cross - looks great.

To answer (or attempt to) your question re: orientation of photos

I suspect you took the picture in "vertical" or portrait mode, but when you posted it it went into horizontal, or landscape mode.
Not sure what phone you have but if this picture is still on your phone, you can open the picture up in your gallery, or something similar and look at the details. The orientation will tell you what mode it is in. On my Samsung Note 3, any picture in portrait mode is shown as being 90*, and any picture taken in landscape mode is shown as being 0*. Most phones are designed to shoot in landscape mode (think of your widescreen TV). However, most phones are also designed to rotate the picture for you when you view it on your phone, regardless of which orientation you hold the phone in.

Hope all that makes sense. So, not sure if you upload to a computer first, or post from your phone with the photo attached. One way around the issue is to edit the photo, crop it (using the same size as the original), then after saving it in the proper orientation, upload it.

Vince

Edit: to add - we were typing our responses at the same time, and I see you are using a Galaxy S4 - your phone has an app called "gallery" - follow my instructions for viewing the details of the photo to confirm it's orientation.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vince, you are exactly right. I took them in portrait, the phone automatically saved it in landscape, and I rotated it back to portrait in gallery. Details showed 180, 90, or 0 depending on orientation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A great looking Cross, Frank. I am glad your wife is healing now; this is one Cross you can both lay down now. I have found my images on Instagram come out sideways on my tablet , but not my phone. I have found Dr. Google helpful on these kind of matters. I would like to wish you and your wife a very Merry Christmas, if you celebrate Christmas, from the great, still-green, North. Bill Major, Ontario, Canada. Bill Major

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
First, glad your wife is doing better and continuing to heal. Second, I like the cross. My complements on it. How did you do the texturing at the bottom?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Frank of all the work you have posted. I like this one most.

A couple of questions:

What bit (s) did you use for the hill that the cross is on or did you use a chistle?

The other is I can't tell about the ribbon. Is the outer edge routed the same depth as the edge of the cross. lighter depth or painted on?

Anyway a very nice look. Hope the wife continues to do well on her way to 100 percent

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A great looking Cross, Frank. I am glad your wife is healing now; this is one Cross you can both lay down now. I have found my images on Instagram come out sideways on my tablet , but not my phone. I have found Dr. Google helpful on these kind of matters. I would like to wish you and your wife a very Merry Christmas, if you celebrate Christmas, from the great, still-green, North. Bill Major, Ontario, Canada. Bill Major
Thanks Bill. You may "offend" me with "Merry Christmas" any time you like. I will give you my first official "Merry Christmas" of 2015. I tend to hold off on these until after Thanksgiving. LOL

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First, glad your wife is doing better and continuing to heal. Second, I like the cross. My complements on it. How did you do the texturing at the bottom?
Thanks John. She is doing a lot better.

The texturing was done using a 90° bit. I make small circular cuts to remove the material. I also made myself a special little chipping tool. I took a small flat-blade pocket screwdriver and ground the tip sharp. I use it to remove the tops of the swirls that may still be sticking up above the surface. Go to oldave100 on Youtube and search their videos on background relief.

I am a big follower of the Dave and Eric Rhoten school of sign making.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frank of all the work you have posted. I like this one most.

A couple of questions:

What bit (s) did you use for the hill that the cross is on or did you use a chistle?

The other is I can't tell about the ribbon. Is the outer edge routed the same depth as the edge of the cross. lighter depth or painted on?

Anyway a very nice look. Hope the wife continues to do well on her way to 100 percent
Jim, Thanks for the good wishes for my wife.

I used a 90° bit to cut the "rocks" of the hill. I make small circular cuts....sometimes in one direction, sometimes in the other. Usually for no reason at all.....I just do it. NO CHISEL WAS USED.

I used a 1/8" straight bit to cut all the deep cuts. I used a 45° to cut the slight bevel on the edges.

The black shadow around the cross is the deepest.....about 1/4" deep. The black border around the ribbon is about 1/8" deep. The ribbon and the cross are not cut at all.....simply painted.

If I make another one of these I think I will cut the black shadow of the cross about 5/8" deep, the black border of the cloth about 1/4" deep, the cross about 1/8" deep and leave the ribbon flush with the surface.

Not sure if that will look good but I want to try to get a 3-D effect.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

If I make another one of these I think I will cut the black shadow of the cross about 5/8" deep, the black border of the cloth about 1/4" deep, the cross about 1/8" deep and leave the ribbon flush with the surface.

Not sure if that will look good but I want to try to get a 3-D effect.
It should look good... show us when your done

1 - 14 of 14 Posts