Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you know that my wife is quite the comedian. Yesterday I took her to the Atlanta Airport for her flight to Chicago.
She's been requested to do "the roast" for her brother's retirement party. She read it to me a couple of days prior and it is hilarious!
I guarantee people from the audience will be rolling in the floors laughing...She can tell ANY STORY and make it funny.

Anyway,

In the Atlanta Metro Area we are blessed with a number of great stores in which one may be able to browse and purchase woodworking tools and supplies at very fair prices. I've been to and done business with ALL OF THE STORES!

But there is one that stands FAR ABOVE any other store that I've ever visited and that is Highland Woodworking in Downtown Atlanta.

Joy and I reside in the northeasterly direction above Atlanta - about 45 miles from the state capital. Atlanta traffic is constantly ranked as one of the worst in the country (I do believe this to be true), so heading home from the airport I had to get on the "connector" which is the "Siamese Expressways" of I-75 and I-85. Not too far north of the I-20 intersection one of the exits is "Freedom Parkway" and that's where I made my decisive move. From that exit, it's an easy 15-20 minutes to Highland Woodworking. And let me tell you guys and gals something:
Visiting there is a trip you will never forget! It's like a museum of Woodworking History with Art, Photos and Vintage tools on the walls and in very nicely made display cases. Google HighlandWoodworking and look at the online photos and keep-in-mind that they do a tremendous amount of business online and have unbelievable guarantees of customer satisfaction.

I hereby promise that nobody asked me to do this write-up, but I'm looking at some of the items purchased yesterday and thought, "More people need to know about this super-cool store!"

Oh yeah, by the way - this is their 40th anniversary and I got some very good deals.

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Maybe on my next trip down.

Reactions: OPG3

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
I'm supposed to go to Atlanta in August. I'll try to set it up so I can go there. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
When our daughter lived in Atlanta I went to HH several times. When I walk into that store I feel like I have died and gone to heaven. There are a lot of shops for the ladies to look around in and as many restaurants to eat. So there is something for the whole family to do.

Reactions: OPG3

·
Registered
98 Posts
Otis, you are quite right about Highland. Whenever I'm up that way I try to visit the store. I wrote a piece once and stated that they were like a woodworkers candy store. If you are a neanderthal woodworker, that's the place for you. But not just neanders, every type. Beautiful displays and very knowledgeable folks there. Well worth the trip.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I've bought a lot from Highland Woodworking, but have never made it to the store. They have always treated me very well.

Charley

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep Guys - it is an amazing store! I have a blast when I go there - every time. Many years ago I worked on the cabinet crew that built the display cases for Fernbank Science Center and Fernbank Museum. Both of those places were my place of employment and they're just 3 or 4 miles from Highland. It was Highland Hardware back then, but they even then had an amazing array of woodworking products.

I find myself doing a fair amount of template routing and often follow-up using drum sanders chucked-into my drill press. They have an amazing variety of drum sanders for that application and variety packs of sanding sleeves in a wide choice of grits. They had relocated the drum sanders and sleeves since my last visit and it sent me further-back into the store than I've ever been - the array of items they carry will blow your mind!

One of my most recently completed projects for here in my home office is a magnetic reference board. Many of you may remember when I built my 14 foot clear-span office desk (with no intermediate supports) and then used it to stand-on to build the two-story storage cabinets above. Well, as our workload has increased, we've had to come-up with some innovative methods to do more work in less time without a big increase in personnel. For my drafting needs, I need to be able to have plotted drawings readily available - and very close by. Since we make the concrete forms in over 6,800 shapes and sizes + custom projects daily - we have need for numerous steel brackets when connections in the field are not at 90 degree angles. I've designed each one of said brackets and we utilize thousand of each size every month. Most of our brackets are made of GALVANIZED 15 or 16 gauge steel. I called our vendor (Evans Tool & Die) and had them make me a: 54" (137 cm) wide in use x 38" (96.5 cm) tall and 14 gauge VERY MAGNETICALLY ATTRACTIVE steel plate! Initially I had it hanging by eye-bolt supported chains with "caribeaner" type connectors on each end going through 3/8" (1 cm) holes 34" (86.5 cm) apart. That worked great! Later, I decided to use both sides by making it become easy to rotate.

By now you're probably wondering what my new magnetic reference board has to do with Highland Woodworking! The answer is very simple: Without any doubt in MY MIND - they have the biggest variety of the most sizes and the best quality of RARE EARTH MAGNETS anywhere I am aware of!

And on Friday, I got some more 1" square and 1" diameter RARE EARTH MAGNETS to accompany the new magnetic reference board! Those things are strong enough to hold big sets of drawings vertically - right where I need them.

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Yep Guys - it is an amazing store! I have a blast when I go there - every time. Many years ago I worked on the cabinet crew that built the display cases for Fernbank Science Center and Fernbank Museum. Both of those places were my place of employment and they're just 3 or 4 miles from Highland. It was Highland Hardware back then, but they even then had an amazing array of woodworking products.

I find myself doing a fair amount of template routing and often follow-up using drum sanders chucked-into my drill press. They have an amazing variety of drum sanders for that application and variety packs of sanding sleeves in a wide choice of grits. They had relocated the drum sanders and sleeves since my last visit and it sent me further-back into the store than I've ever been - the array of items they carry will blow your mind!

One of my most recently completed projects for here in my home office is a magnetic reference board. Many of you may remember when I built my 14 foot clear-span office desk (with no intermediate supports) and then used it to stand-on to build the two-story storage cabinets above. Well, as our workload has increased, we've had to come-up with some innovative methods to do more work in less time without a big increase in personnel. For my drafting needs, I need to be able to have plotted drawings readily available - and very close by. Since we make the concrete forms in over 6,800 shapes and sizes + custom projects daily - we have need for numerous steel brackets when connections in the field are not at 90 degree angles. I've designed each one of said brackets and we utilize thousand of each size every month. Most of our brackets are made of GALVANIZED 15 or 16 gauge steel. I called our vendor (Evans Tool & Die) and had them make me a: 54" (137 cm) wide in use x 38" (96.5 cm) tall and 14 gauge VERY MAGNETICALLY ATTRACTIVE steel plate! Initially I had it hanging by eye-bolt supported chains with "caribeaner" type connectors on each end going through 3/8" (1 cm) holes 34" (86.5 cm) apart. That worked great! Later, I decided to use both sides by making it become easy to rotate.

By now you're probably wondering what my new magnetic reference board has to do with Highland Woodworking! The answer is very simple: Without any doubt in MY MIND - they have the biggest variety of the most sizes and the best quality of RARE EARTH MAGNETS anywhere I am aware of!

And on Friday, I got some more 1" square and 1" diameter RARE EARTH MAGNETS to accompany the new magnetic reference board! Those things are strong enough to hold big sets of drawings vertically - right where I need them.

Otis,

I agree with your assessment of the traffic, and doubly so in the rain. We drove down here for an event, and in the trips I had to run to the airport was eye opening to say the least. As soon as you feel like you have things figured out GPS sends you another way. I hope to break free with my dad and try to visit the store. Unfortunately. The car is already pretty full, so can't buy too much!

Thanks for the idea,

Doug

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Having been in Atlanta numerous times over a period of 5 decades now I can also attest to the statement that it has some of the worst traffic in North America. Traffic starts backing up on the Interstate highways miles from the actual city limits and you go miles out of the city limits before it starts thinning out again.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Have driven through Atlanta 100s of times. People don't realize when they zip from one lane to another, they force the people behind them to slow down. PM me for some examples. PM me for driving in Los Angeles which is my favorite place to drive. My father and I flew there and he told he the ins and outs of driving in LA as he lived there for over a year.
A comedian said he took his wife out to Las Vegas for their anniversary two years ago. He is thinking about going back and getting her this year.
On topic- have bought from HWW. Good people, IMHO. Never been to their store...afraid to with two credit cards!

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
So Dad and I left the ladies at the house and headed out to Highland Woodworking. I thought we headed out after morning traffic, but they still saved some extra for us to have to navigate through. The route took us up by the Carter Center, which is a great looking piece of property, and down into the small Main Street where Highland is. And best of all... off street parking at the store,

The store seems small, but it is packed. We spent the better part of an hour cruising through the displays. You could hear 2 salesmen on the phone processing orders and answering questions almost the entire time we were there, and another gentleman was making sure we found everything, and making us feel welcome.

Some of the aisles were a little tight for Dad's walker, but the stairs to the upper deck were nice and wide with goof handrails. It's amazing all the different product they have in a small space, as well as the special tool displays.

Each "department" (carving, turning, routing, sanding, etc) was well represented, and well organized. There were some great deals on demo tools, from handplanes to HVLP sprayers. They must have had at least 10 planes with demo prices today.

They had a good selection of veneer and inlays, I was surprised that the wood selection was a little sparse. It is a small store, so I guess that limits what they can keep. The did have some big slabs of local lumber, and it was beautiful.

I managed to escape the store only $40 lighter, but it could have been much worse. Good thing I didn't bring my truck this time south.

I definitely agree with the recommendations to visit if your in the area. Even if you don't need anything, it's a fun place to relax for a bit and browse, and there are some great older houses in the neighborhood around it to admire as you drive by.

Part of me wishes they were closer to home, the other part is glad it's not!

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
A good friend has his practice in Marietta, and the trip from the airport to his place is often an ordeal. Actually, the last few times there, just hiking from the gate to the car rental place was a stretch. Generally booked late flights home (way West) so by then the traffic was merely bad. However, having lived in the Los Angeles region for years, I think Atlanta traffic is no match for the L.A. crazies. A visit down the hill to a woodworking store not even in L.A. can take 6-7 hours round trip. I did go to a woodworking store in Atlanta a couple of years ago. Not sure it was Highland--don't remember an upstairs, but sure wish I had one of those nearby. I'd have to have a bib to catch all the drool, so maybe distance is a good thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts