Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago we moved from our home of more than 12 years to what we had hoped would be a better house. Nice big 3 car garage with extra room built into the house as if they could see me coming when they built it. Unfortunately, a week after moving in we had a fire in the place which took out the garage and all of my woodworking equipment. I had just built the first of what I expected to turn into a 22 foot long bench.

The fire also took out two bedrooms which contained my home-office and my wife's craft room. The kitchen and most of the living room was lost and the rest of the house suffered more damage including heavy smoke damage. As you might expect, the house was a lost. Of course, the new insurance company decided to "investigate" the cause, based on the fact I had built a bench, and it has taken me two years to get those turds in court.

After a horrible long absence from woodworking (one in which I couldn't buy more equipment because I kept hoping against logic that the insurance company would come to their sense and pay the claim) I am ready to get back to work. We are now buying a very nice, brand new house in North Carolina. Not a three car garage, but since we've retired and are down to only one new car in the garage (my truck is in the driveway for now), I'll still have room to restart a shop.

Long story .... longer. :)

I'm happy to be looking at a new shop around the second week of September, and I will be able to populate it with some new equipment. I'll not only keep looking at the great projects on this site but also the tool discussions. Big wide grin about it all ...

:smile:

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Welcome back Carl. Lets hope all ends well.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Ouch...
Welcome back CArl...
glad no one was hurt...

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,359 Posts
Glad to see you back Carl, hope everything works out for you both.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So sorry to hear the terrible problems you had with the fire and then the insurance company trying to get out of paying up. I do hope that eventually paid up in full and you can look forward to enjoying your retirement and your new workshop.

Having retired myself, I started wodworking a couple of years ago and am having great fun.

All the best

Malcolm

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fire and your loss. :crying: Just glad that no one was hurt in the fire. We had the same experience with an insurance company over stolen firearms. Wound up suing the company and won. Their attorneys wanted to settle but the exec's didn't. Cost them more than the original claim.
Good woodworking!
Where do you live in NC? Used to live in central NC. Miss the fresh seafood.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Sorry to hear of your woes...good for you for keeping your "grin" up...

Good luck with your new home, new start and new shop...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome back and it's good to hear your trials and tribulations are coming to an end.

Did they decide what caused the fire?

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I had a similar incident in Feb.2012 and immediately hired a public Adjuster to represent me as the insurance company didn't even show up for over a week after the fire. When their adjuster finally showed up he waved a check for 1/4th of what I finally settled for, and didn't have to go to court. My adjuster knew all the rules and I didn't, and the Insurance Company didn't argue with him. He got everything he could get out of them. They didn't like it , but had to come thru.

I only recouped about half on the tools because anything over 10 years old was depreciated to "$0". But the house was stripped down to the studs and complete new wiring,plumbing,insulation, windows, doors, roofing,flooring and drywall,& siding. Aso a new concrete drive way. It was a brand new house that cost twice what a new one would have, but they wouldn't demo it and build a new one , go figure.

Herb

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
Sorry to hear about the incident Carl but I'm glad things have turned around . I hate the word insurance and warranty :(

About two years ago we had a young family go to the Doninican Republic on holidays . The travel agency where she worked at is where she bought the extra travel insurance also in the unlikely case that there's an incident .
Well her husband slipped and fell at the pool at the resort and his brain was hemorrhaging as a result and needed immediate attention . The resort wouldn't pay for the operation and the insurance company said that the resort should be accountable so in the mean time he died . The insurance company did pay to have his casket sent back to Canada though bless there hearts

Reactions: old55
1 - 14 of 14 Posts