Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is more or less, a prototype. Made from a scrap 1x12 pine board and scrap pieces of 2x4, stained with Varathane Cherry mixed with linseed oil and paint thinner. Finish is Varathane Crystal Clear Satin.

P.S. I really need to keep working on my finish, next time will try lacquer or shellac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,545 Posts
I love it . I knew what it was after a few seconds . Had the wine glass spot figured out immediately,but wasn’t sure about the rest till I seen the iPad .
Nice design Dennis

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Project Mk2:

Outtakes:

1) Need better wood, even if it’ll cost a bit more. No pine next time, I’ll go with red oak.

2) I really don’t like the finish this time. Went with stain+poly “Pecan” mix and it doesn’t look very well.

3) Need slight adjustments to the design, such as tapping and dyeing wooden rods and knobs to tighten the supports. Keeping them doweled is not a solution as they’ll get loose overtime.

4) Figured out a way to flatten the mug inlay without having to chisel it out (which was nearly a disaster).

I’m sure I’ll do better next time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you kindly, good sir. I may be overreacting, but that’s the perfectionist in me. I do see the flaws.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts