Router Forums banner

A lot more boxes

7K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  kiks 
#1 ·
I was contacted by a lady friend who is a doctor. I have known her since she was a teenager. She works with pregnant ladies who are having problems with their babies. She said one of the mothers had lost her baby and asked if I would make the mother a memory box. She gave me the child's name and dates to have engraved on it. I made and shipped it to the mother. I also had two angels engraved beside the child's name. The friend asked if she could contact me in the future as well as pass my name and photos of my work to Down Syndrome. I have already supplies 58 boxes and baskets this year to Down Syndrome. I found out they also work with any child with birth defects including cancer. The director said they get about 20 kids a year referred to them, and about 20% of the children do not live for a year.

This doctor friend told the Down Syndrome Director that I also make funeral urns for infants. I had also made a casket for an infant.

The Down Syndrome Society said they had been giving parents information and items in plastic buckets. They are going to start giving these in one of my baskets. I have also started supplying boxes and basket to a place called Mom's Closet that provides clothing and items to mothers in need.

Someone asked if I charge these folks for my boxes. I told them no. They asked how do I make money from them. I told them I make it up in volume. Ha!

Here are just some of what I have been making for these folks.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice work, all the way around.

#5 ·
Decades ago, I made a fundraising film for a home for children and adults, many of whom were pretty low functioning Down's Syndrome people. It was, oddly enough, one of the most joyful experiences of my life. Many of those children were happy and incredibly curious about what we were doing, especially about the cameras. Today, many of them would probably be living independently. I recall reading that one part of the syndrome was the that opening in the skull for the spinal cord was very small and constricting. A wonderful thing to be doing for children and their parents.

#9 ·
Very Nice...! and even more so, generous...

WELL DONE...! ! !

Reactions: Herb Stoops
#18 ·
Malcom, I personally think there is no better box maker on this forum, your attention to detail is second to none. I also believe that your generousity and kindness outshine your incredible work.

God Bless you for all you do. The folks you so kindly present the boxes to, are the ones who need love the most. I don't know you personally, but I would be proud to say I did.

Rick

#19 ·
As always, these are some beautifully done boxes and baskets. It still amazes me the quality of woods you are using, they are great. I love that box with the quilted maple top.

I'm looking forward to seeing your post on the techniques you use.

Thank you for your generosity!

Reactions: Herb Stoops
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.