Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year and a half ago I come home to find my wife crying in the kitchen. She'd lost her wedding rings! She had re-traced her day and no luck. It was a special ring. I sold my '57 Chevy when I went into the Army and used the money to buy the rings. Years later we had the rings modified with a hinge and clasp because arthritis had disfigured her hands.

I told her would we just get her new rings, after all, we got 48 years good use out of them! She couldn't even talk about it.

Last weekend she was downstairs re-potting some houseplants and noticed something shiny in the potting soil and thought it was a scrap of tinfoil. It was her rings!

It was truly a miracle. We garden. A lot. I take all the old potting soil from store-bought plants and dump into two big garbage cans. Two or three times a season I mix in a bag or two of compost/manure using a big drill with a concrete mixing blade. Works great.

How the rings survived all that is hard to comprehend. Next year we'll celebrate our 50th anniversary. How she's put put up with me for almost 50 years is even harder to comprehend!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Thanks for sharing. How happy she and you must have been to find the rings which are just a bonus for 50 years together. Wonderful.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
I worked selling jewelry for a couple of years while in college and occasionally ordered a shank like that. Gold wears out, so latches that hold the ring shank closed must be repaired now and again. If it came off like that, its time to take it to a good, manufacturing jeweler to reinforce and renew that latch. Think of it, nearly half a century of wear on a tiny latch? For your own comfort, have the jeweler mark the locations of inclusions in the diamond so it doesn't get switched out.

Odd thing, did you know you can have your ashes converted into a diamond? It keeps a sparkle in the eye long after you're dust.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
very good story...
and congratulations on your 50th...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Fantastic story....and 50 years is monumental... congratulations.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
cast to winds here...

Reactions: HoweA

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
Great story with happy ending....

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
That was a great story and Glad that it came out that way. Congratulations on the 50th. My wife requested giving her diamond ring to her grand daughter to put into her wedding ring when she gets married,which I did.

Herb

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,329 Posts
Great result.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts