Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just the other day I mentioned to Harry that I needed more items in my shop (Like I need a hole in my head) and today I found the perfect item to fill up some of the unused space: a 14" bandsaw with a 6" riser installed. It's an older saw with a 1/2 HP motor but that can be changed easy enough. Does anybody recognize the brand? I am picking it up in about 10 hours, it will do the job for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
2,392 Posts
Mike said:
Just the other day I mentioned to Harry that I needed more items in my shop (Like I need a hole in my head) and today I found the perfect item to fill up some of the unused space: a 14" bandsaw with a 6" riser installed. It's an older saw with a 1/2 HP motor but that can be changed easy enough. Does anybody recognize the brand? I am picking it up in about 10 hours, it will do the job for now.
Hi Mike,

Well, I guess you have it home by now and are cleaning it up and getting it adjusted, etc. My bandsaw, G0555, is my favorite power tool, along with router, of course. :)

I would pay special attention to:
The tires... if cracked and look worn, replace them with some urethane tires.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10783

Guide bearings...

Probably get a new blade(s)...

You are going to have some F U N !!

If you get a manual, read it carefully...

Just be carefull...

Thank you for keeping us up to date...

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
And just where are YOU going to stand once you place that in the last available spot in your garage? :)

Brian

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
I don't see no "stinkin wheels" Mike. You are going to make it mobile, right? This will give you room to stand then. Hope your saw turns out as good as mine. 16" bought at an auction. Had to replace the on/off switch, but it works great.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to pick the saw up this morning. I had called the guy before leaving and was two blocks from his house when he called me to say the saw was sold. I was pretty upset. Since it was only two blocks I went there and viewed the saw. I knew the paint looked familiar, it was an Amstad brand imported by Wholesale Tool from the same factory that builds Grizzly and other name plates. The saw had a 1/2 HP motor and a home built riser plus a damaged blade guide assembly. I felt bad for the guy who bought it, he had no idea of what he will have to do to make it work right. I knew and was willing to fix the saw... but I would of wanted to pay a lower price for it. Life goes on.

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Mike,

That is a shame, but life goes on as you said. You never mentioned what you were going to pay for that one. but you may want to look at the HF 4 speed which you can catch on sale for about $200 from time to time. I have one that I got for that price and added the risrer block. It makes a pretty good saw for the money.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guy was asking $90 for the saw.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Mike

At that price you should have said here's 20 bucks to hold it and I will pick it up in the truck in the next day or so.

Sorry you miss that one. :(

Bj :)

Mike said:
The guy was asking $90 for the saw.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BJ, The saw was posted on Craigs list and I talked to the owner Friday and agreed on Saturday morning for me to go pick it up. I didn't have the chance to give him any money or I would of. I thought it was a done deal.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

I know what you mean, I was at the flea market and saw a magnet base drill that could drill 1/2" to 3" holes in steel (upside down or on the side,for dilling holes in truck/car frames to mount trailer hitchs,etc.) , and I said I will take it at 20 bucks and b/4 I got the money out of my pocket a guy put his big arm over my shoulder and said here I will take it for 50 bucks and just that quick it was gone. ( a 500 dollar drill ) .....

Money talks and bull s*#t walks ..:)

Mike said:
BJ, The saw was posted on Craigs list and I talked to the owner Friday and agreed on Saturday morning for me to go pick it up. I didn't have the chance to give him any money or I would of. I thought it was a done deal.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Dave

I'm glad you got your band saw up and running, did you put the same type of switch back in or did you put in a bat type. ?? :)

NOW that you have it up and running, take a look at my little frog I made, it's not to great and nothing like what Tony Ward makes but it was fun making it.

So now it's your turn Dave :) :)

see snapshots below ▼

-----------
Tony Ward ▼
http://www.routerforums.com/introductions/4452-self-introduction.html
--------
--------

Dr.Zook said:
I don't see no "stinkin wheels" Mike. You are going to make it mobile, right? This will give you room to stand then. Hope your saw turns out as good as mine. 16" bought at an auction. Had to replace the on/off switch, but it works great.

Attachments

·
2,392 Posts
bobj3 said:
Hi Dave

I'm glad you got your band saw up and running, did you put the same type of switch back in or did you put in a bat type. ?? :)

NOW that you have it up and running, take a look at my little frog I made, it's not to great and nothing like what Tony Ward makes but it was fun making it.

So now it's your turn Dave :) :)

see snapshots below ▼

-----------
Tony Ward ▼
http://www.routerforums.com/introductions/4452-self-introduction.html
--------
--------
Really cute there, Bob... I couldn't see where you hid the kerf for the "box" section... under the knotch tenon maybe.

You must have had a real small blade in it... 1/8"?

C O O L !!

Thank you...

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Joe

1/8" blade is right on, I did cheat a bit I used the Scroll saw to cut out the hole for the drawer ( black flock ,hide hole), :) once I cut off the back side of the frog.
Drilled a "SMALL" hole and cut it out. :)

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I came up with a solution to my problem, I now have a Ryobi 9" bandsaw. It will handle the 4 cuts I need to make and I doubt I will lose money if I sell it. $25 well spent.

·
2,392 Posts
bobj3 said:
Hi Joe

1/8" blade is right on, I did cheat a bit I used the Scroll saw to cut out the hole for the drawer ( black flock ,hide hole), :) once I cut off the back side of the frog.
Drilled a "SMALL" hole and cut it out. :)

OK GOTCHA! :D :)

I don't think my G0555 would like 1/8" blades... seems like I read it... Maybe 3/16" ... in fact, I think I have used 3/16" before... before I added the riser block... you're getting me back into the 'mood'... :)

·
2,392 Posts
Mike said:
I came up with a solution to my problem, I now have a Ryobi 9" bandsaw. It will handle the 4 cuts I need to make and I doubt I will lose money if I sell it. $25 well spent.
Very good, Mike!!

Now, you've got me wondering what you're making...!!
Only 4 BS cuts required... Bandsaw box? :) :D

... going to show us? :)

... and the Ryobi doesn't take so much room! :sold:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.