Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have recently gotten back into woodworking after a hiatus of about 30 years. As part of this, I dusted off my old Sears Craftsman router (since replaced) and bits. The bits date to the early 90s. Most have never been used. Some of the bits that I have must have come with the router. I've never used them. The ogee bits are in three pieces: a stem, a blade, and a screw. Given the speed of a router, are these dangerous to use? Should I just throw them away? I've used one of these assemblies on my old router, but am hesitant to use them on my new Bosch router.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I suspect those came in a handy plastic carry case, too. I have the same set. I found they work ok but dull fairly quickly and as you use them, you will want to upgrade to more robust carbide bits in the same shape. Better bits will have ball bearings instead of the solid end tips, which will run a lot cooler than the ones pictured.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I too have old 1/4" shaft bits that sit in my router table bit drawer but will likely never get used as they are the non carbon high speed steel bits and dull fast. Aside from that the only time I use 1/4: bit is with the trim router for lite work. But as with all bits, speed should be accounted for depending on bit size as well as depth of cut. I never take more then 1/8-3/16" off in a single pass if I can help it short of stile and rails or raised panel doods. On raised panels it's usually 2-3 passes.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I wouldn't throw them out but if your new router is a 1/2" model then anything you buy will most likely be 1/2". Use the ones you have until they don't work. You might find that you rarely use these in which case they will last a long time. When you buy new ones I would recommend a complete set from someplace like MLCS. With a medium size set, you'll probably be able to do just about any basic routing operation. If you find that there are one or two bits that you always reach for then invest in quality bits for those ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts