Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just retired, and am OK with basic stuff, which I have learned means having screwed up enough to know basically what I'm doing. One piece of plywood = four lessons, I figure. I've made basic shop cabinets, tables, carts and accessories, and am ready to move on and learn on more expensive wood..

I have a Freud FT2000E and a Milwaukee installed in a Craftsman benchtop table, all of which I bought through Craigslist.

I'm ready to learn templates. I want to make a "juice groove" for a vegetarian cutting board (ergo no blood groove).

My issue seems easy, but I can't find a fix. The FT2000E has a square hole in the base, and the manual says it's great for templates, but all the bushing sets appear to fit in round holes.

I can't find anything from Freud to deal with this. Do they sell alternative bases? Is there some magical jig that fits into the two screw holes that now hold the dust chute?

Am I making something more complicated than it has to be?

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the UK you can buy a universal sub base to attach to the base of most models.

www .trend-uk.com/en/US/product/U*UNIBASE/4/6/universal_subbase_with_pins_and_bush_.html

Is this what you were looking for?

Steve

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Tom and welcome to the router forum. Thanks for joining us here.

·
Registered
948 Posts
you could try making a LARGE template, and running the base around the inside, (or outside, depending how you make your template). Just measure your offset.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I just retired, and am OK with basic stuff, which I have learned means having screwed up enough to know basically what I'm doing. One piece of plywood = four lessons, I figure. I've made basic shop cabinets, tables, carts and accessories, and am ready to move on and learn on more expensive wood..

I have a Freud FT2000E and a Milwaukee installed in a Craftsman benchtop table, all of which I bought through Craigslist.

I'm ready to learn templates. I want to make a "juice groove" for a vegetarian cutting board (ergo no blood groove).

My issue seems easy, but I can't find a fix. The FT2000E has a square hole in the base, and the manual says it's great for templates, but all the bushing sets appear to fit in round holes.

I can't find anything from Freud to deal with this. Do they sell alternative bases? Is there some magical jig that fits into the two screw holes that now hold the dust chute?

I've not seen a stock router with a square hole in the base plate; could it be that the original owner modified the base plate - a picture would help? In any case, you can buy, or make a base plate that will take Porter Cable (PC) style bushings (the screw together ones).

If you have the stock Freud base plate, then you can use an adapter:

Freud FT1100 Template Guide Adaptor Plate

There's also a set:

Freud FT2020 Template Guide Kit

If you need a new base plate, a lot of people like the Milescraft base. It can be used with Milescraft guide bushings and, with an adapter, PC style bushings too (this may be the most economical and versatile way to go):

Milescraft turnlock

Milescraft products at Amazon.com

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Tom

All you need is the kit below, I have the 2000 and the hole is a bit sq.but the base will take on the brass adapter easy with the two screws in the dog ears on the router base but it's used for hand plunge router jobs only and not in the table..
I will say you can used the 2000 in the table setup but you need to have your router setup for it. (to take on the guides)

Hand router ▼
But that's the best way to use in your case. You just need a template so you can use the brass guides.

===========

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-router-template-guide-set-95160.html
======

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,066 Posts

Here is a way that I used many years ago that uses the side fence. When going around circles, it's important to keep the router perpendicular to the surface in order for the spacing to remain even. I must take this opportunity to stress that when buying a router, choose one with a LARGE round opening which enables a wide range of template guides to be used, also the view of the cutter is so much better. The cutter shown is a core box bit but I have seen cutting boards in shops with a flat bottom groove.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to you all

As it turns out, the Freud template kit was exactly what I needed. (If I had seen the Harbor Freight kit I could have saved a little.

And I learned. I made the template to cut the juice groove, and it worked perfectly; but as I rounded the back tilted the router a bit so there is a shallow spot on my first one. Live and learn. Second was perfect. Then shifted the same bit to the table router to make small finger grips.

Now some sanding and tung oil. Oh- and my wife wants reindeer for the yard.

One other quick question- one bushing guide has a very small clearance, so I went to the next size up. How much clearance should one have between the bit and the brass guide?

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
HI Tom

"How much clearance should one have between the bit and the brass guide?"
When it comes to clearance ,1/16" is as good as mile on routers guides.

========

As it turns out, the Freud template kit was exactly what I needed. (If I had seen the Harbor Freight kit I could have saved a little.

And I learned. I made the template to cut the juice groove, and it worked perfectly; but as I rounded the back tilted the router a bit so there is a shallow spot on my first one. Live and learn. Second was perfect. Then shifted the same bit to the table router to make small finger grips.

Now some sanding and tung oil. Oh- and my wife wants reindeer for the yard.

One other quick question- one bushing guide has a very small clearance, so I went to the next size up. How much clearance should one have between the bit and the brass guide?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.