Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2010 we bought this magnificent stove. It is Spanish, made with the old (pre WW2) molds and burns wood for heat, and can be used for cooking in the oven or on the top as well . It is not in the kitchen (not wise to have a big fire just for cooking in such a hot climate), but during the 3 - 4 cold months it makes a nice cozy atmosphere, implemented by the smell and sounds of food cooking. A side table was needed, as the one initially placed (as in the photo) was not taking the heat well and the tablecloth was in danger as well.

I decided butcher-block style, thick on top, with just one drawer and 2 shelves. The wife insisted that I use free edge cypress blocks that had been hanging around for at least 10 years, and so "free edge furniture" got in my life.

It is made of cypress only, sides with 22mm boards, back with 12mm boards - solid wood, dowels all over (no metal used in the joinery) and with particular attention to the decorative use of the free edges.

It exceeded my expectations, as 5 years next to the fire, it is really warm to touch when the stove is on. You can see it in "full steam"during Christmas Eve 2013.

I think it is pleasant, fits in style with the stove, and will last for many years. I posted here as a means of saying "thank you" to all those who gave me wishes for my birthday.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Most excellent Dimitri...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very nice. I like it.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
A very nice job Dimitri and it looks perfect sitting next to that stove.

·
Registered
Paul
1,836 Posts
Dimitri, you had to make a nice table so that the stove wouldn't steal the show! ;)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
This is a nice piece, I like that you used the wood as it was so the recycled look is very neat and its a perfect use of old timber. N

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Very nice, Dimitri...and it looks a perfect match to the rest of the room...you made old wood look real good...

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Dimitri, what a wonderful piece. I love it. it brings back memory's for me of my childhood. Makes for as cozy relaxing atmosphere.

Herb

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Simple, elegantly under stated.

Very nicely done Dimitri

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,167 Posts
Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Like all your work that I've seen Dimitri, the table shows great imagination and skill.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the finish on it. I wanted to ask what you used for the stain and/or protective coat. Would you say the outer finish is tolerating the heat very well? Also, do you think that you'd refinish it occasionally?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts