Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my router table, and mounted my Triton TRA001 in it. I have only used the router briefely before, as a plunge router (used it to route the cavity for the Bench Dog router table plate).

It worked great, and I was happy.

I'm still happy, but there seems to be a "snag" when I try to lift the router. About half way between the bottom and top setting, it feels like something is obstructing the movement, and the router tilts slightly to one side, before the snag lets go, and I can keep turning the knob to elevate the router further.

I have removed the plunge spring, and I'm not using the above-top elevating handle.

It seems that if I push a little on the oposite side of the router while I turn the knob, it's almost gone, but not completely.

Everything works fine, but it's kind of annoying when it feels like something is wrong, and could wear out over time. I've checked everything on the outside of the router, and I can't see anything that should cause this, so I think it must be on the inside.

The above-top elevating handle, works fine for lowering the router, but when I'm elevating it, I'm afraid of breaking it, because it's only lifting on one of the columns..

Has anyone else experienced this?

Tommy

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Hi Tommy,

Are you using the large knob for coarse adjustment and the smaller knob for fine adjustment?

I have been using my TRA001 in the table for a few years and have not noticed this problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remembered seeing that site, and looked it up. I removed the body from the two coloumns, and looked inside. It turned out to be a simple, but surprising solution.

The inside of the plastic cover has some reinforcement flanges, and one of them was just a little to big, so the top of the non-geared coloumn actually hit the edge of that flange, and got wedged against it, making the last half of the height adjustment much less smooth.

I used a thin file (taped it to not harm the bushing) and filed away about 1/16" and the problem is solved!

Funny though, that a product like this, has an error like that..

Here is a clip I made, before I found out what the problem was...

Triton TRA001 - YouTube

It's a bit shakey, since I held my phone with one hand, and turned the knob with the other :)

Tommy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts