·
Registered
31,264 Posts
thanks Harry..

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not all Super glue are the same

Had an emergency appendectomy last year and they closed me up with super glue. Neat as a pin.
Medical "Super Glue"
To overcome harmful issues of STD Super Glue, new CAs were developed with the express purpose of use in surgery. 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (Derma+flex® QS™, SurgiSeal, FloraSeal and Dermabond) causes less skin irritation and increased flexibility and strength compared to traditional 'Super Glue'. In 1998 the US FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for the closure of wounds and surgical incision and in 2001 was approved as "barrier against common bacterial microbes including certain staphylococci, pseudomonads, and Escherichia coli".

n-butyl cyanoacrylate wound adhesives are available under the trade names: LiquiBand®, Histoacryl, Indermil, GluStitch, GluShield, and Periacryl (dental adhesive)

Octyl ester, while providing a weaker bond, are more flexible. Butyl esters provide stronger bond, but are rigid.

Reactions: harrysin

·
Registered
529 Posts
The principle has been around since the 70's - commercially sold as anchor plasters or butterfly plasters. But in practice, most small cuts and scrapes just need to protected from abrasion, while natural healing takes place. I have also used whatever tape is handy. The advantage of the anchor plaster design is indeed in the "anchoring", and also the flexibility around a joint . As Harry's post shows, it is simple enough to make one's own. The only time it is nice to have them ready made, is when one is pouring blood, and there are not enough hands to staunch the flow and also cut the plaster.

Another great idea, recently resurrected, is the wound closure strip, used for longer linear wounds. The tape brings the two sides of the wound together, and holds them in position, while healing takes place. No stitches or staples to remove, no further skin puncturing. The type I liked best, when I was doing that kind of fixing, was a type that looks a bit like a box joint - interleaved strips of tape that pull in opposite directions without distorting.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Good idea Harry. I also like to keep a roll of the mesh type tape that Vets use, it sticks to its-self.
When are you going to re-invent the wheel ? Can't wait.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good idea Harry. I also like to keep a roll of the mesh type tape that Vets use, it sticks to its-self.
When are you going to re-invent the wheel ? Can't wait.
"When are you going to re-invent the wheel"

I thought that I had when I "invented" a universal solvent but I couldn't find anything to keep it in!

"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree with GaryK. Plasters are great for scrapes but useless for actual clean cuts as they allow the cut to open up. I just use tape (the stuff they use to tape gauze onto bigger wounds). Tape acts a big 'steristrip' or stitch if you like, keeping the edges of the cut pressed together. Heals ten times faster then just a plaster. Less chance of infection as well since the wound is closed.

In a pinch, I cut the sticky bits off the plaster and use them straight across the cut :)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I use TiteBond II, it burns a little,but that lets you know it is working, CA glue has Cyanide in it.
Just saying ,
Herb
medical grade doesn't...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
"CA glue has Cyanide in it.
Just saying ,"
-Herb

Well, that got my attention!
we'll be right over to get your stuff and haul off the beer stash...

Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 20 of 29 Posts