Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had many suggestions to watch old dave 100 videos on my st8 answers thread. They were informative. Instead of buying his stencils and lacking a CNC I cut them with a scroll saw. On this sign I deviated a bit from his method. I pre-painted the sign silver and white in the appropriate places and then masked of the sign. I then laid out my stencils and sprayed their outline as Old Dave does. After routing out the background and painting it green I peeled the remaining masking tape and touched up the silver and white. BTW I am a Philly boy thru and thru

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Great sign. You did a really good job on it. How did you cut the oval.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,195 Posts
Well done, Bill. The colors and carving look great. Be sure to send a photo on to Eric at Makeawoodsign.com. I'm sure you'll get selected for Sign Carver of the Day on a future show.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had many suggestions to watch old dave 100 videos on my st8 answers thread. They were informative. Instead of buying his stencils and lacking a CNC I cut them with a scroll saw. On this sign I deviated a bit from his method. I pre-painted the sign silver and white in the appropriate places and then masked of the sign. I then laid out my stencils and sprayed their outline as Old Dave does. After routing out the background and painting it green I peeled the remaining masking tape and touched up the silver and white. BTW I am a Philly boy thru and thru
How about your new Quarterback from my town? I just hope it doesn't go to his head like so many other celebrities.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about your new Quarterback from my town? I just hope it doesn't go to his head like so many other celebrities.
Two reasons not to worry
1 When coach called Wentz to tell him he was the new starter he was goose hunting.
2. During bye week he flew home and bagged 8 pt buck with a bow

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,358 Posts
Nice one.

·
Registered
Theo
6,939 Posts
Nice one.
Nice sign. Never heard of making one with stencils before. Here's one I made for my World Corporate Headquarters years ago. I think the design was from a ship carving. I sketched it out, cut it out with a bandsaw, burnt in the lines with a burning tool, painted it with acrylic latex outdoor paint. Has held up for probably close to 20 years now.

Looking at that iggle, makes me think it would make a great house numbers sign. My last one was a Tiki, and it was backed over, twice, totally destroying it the second time. Think welding a steel tube onto a car wheel, and fixing some kind of hold for the back of the iggle would work out great. I was going to make another Tiki, but think I may go this route instead.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts