Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was finally able to get back in the shop. A few setbacks, but I am moving forward now.

My niece is getting married tonight. I made the couple an end grain cutting board. The woods used are: Black Walnut, Jarrah, Mahogany, 200+ year old Pecan, Purple Heart, White Oak, and Yellow Heart. I finished the board in Mineral oil. It measures 14" X 12" X 1 1/4" tall.

I have made quite a few of these boards, in the last few years. I have cut my process time in half since my first board. Some things I learned, some were due to new machines added.

My next project will be 3 wine boxes made out of: Black Walnut, Mahogany, and some locally grown Cherry. (South Louisiana)

I want to thank everyone for the informative, encouraging post that have been shared here. It really makes woodworking fun.

Ellery "Bud" Becnel

Attachments

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
That's actually too nice to cut on!!!

HJ

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You Bob. John, I hear that from people who get, and see the boards. They are reversible, if you want to display it. You can cut on one side, and display the other. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
17,428 Posts
Thank you Rick!
Your welcome Ellery . I really like the pattern , and what gets me is how tight everything is . I have a feeling if I ever attempted one, it would never come out this perfect

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is really not that hard to make. As long as the joints are flat to each other, prior to glue up. That is one thing that will cause joint separation, cracks, and warpage. The glue is made to hold wood together, not fill in voids. I found that out along the way. The biggest issue with end grain is the sanding, sanding, and more sanding.

You can do it! Give it a try.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,350 Posts
Very nice.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Those are beautiful.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I was finally able to get back in the shop. A few setbacks, but I am moving forward now.

My niece is getting married tonight. I made the couple an end grain cutting board. The woods used are: Black Walnut, Jarrah, Mahogany, 200+ year old Pecan, Purple Heart, White Oak, and Yellow Heart. I finished the board in Mineral oil. It measures 14" X 12" X 1 1/4" tall.

I have made quite a few of these boards, in the last few years. I have cut my process time in half since my first board. Some things I learned, some were due to new machines added.

My next project will be 3 wine boxes made out of: Black Walnut, Mahogany, and some locally grown Cherry. (South Louisiana)

I want to thank everyone for the informative, encouraging post that have been shared here. It really makes woodworking fun.

Ellery "Bud" Becnel
Those are really nice Ellery. I need to try making one of those. As soon as I get caught up with all the small fires that crop up and all the honey do's I have on my list,
I'll take a crack at it.
Nice job.
David

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again! I spoke with some family members that I have given boards to recently. Of six, only one has actually used them. They all say it is too nice to cut on.
I once again reassured them that the boards are very durable, and will last a lifetime.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Thanks again! I spoke with some family members that I have given boards to recently. Of six, only one has actually used them. They all say it is too nice to cut on.
I once again reassured them that the boards are very durable, and will last a lifetime.
Ellery like everyone else I think you did a super job on your cutting board. What a great gift.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts