Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am relatively new to working with a plunge router. I had first purchased a Craftsman router about 35 years ago to make a fireplace mantle, but have done little since then. I am restricted with a room that is 15 X 12, that the good lady also likes to store clothes in. I am intersted in building a router table the size that Bob & Rick use. I am retired from television broadcasting, where we did not work with wood.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Welcome joez. I guess your good lady is just going to have to get used to sawdust in her clothes. :D Enjoy the forum and show us some of your work.

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Welcome to the forum Joe. You will love this place and the people that make it up. As far as the router table you have in mind...... it is fantastic. I took the lazy way out and purchased mine from Oak-Park. Greatest thing since peanut butter and requires very little space.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Welcome Joe,
You shouldn't have any problem finding answers on this forum but if you don't, just ask. We love it when new members participate so jump right in and join in the fun.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Welcome to the forums Joe. Glad to welcome another retiree. (cause I are one too). The Oak-Park router table is just a click ( or two) away. At the top of this page - click on the "Oak-Park.com" link and it will take you to their catalog. So, you worked for CBS? Who made the sets for the CBS? Got questions, just ask. One or more of our helpful, experienced members will be glad to answer.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome Joez: I also purchased the Oak-Park table, and I'm happy with it. They also sell the components like the table top, the plate for mounting your router and a drawing showing how to build the rest of the table. Woodnut65

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all who welcomed me and gave me some advice regarding Oak Park's table top.. Years ago I had purchased Bob & Rick's book, which came with the plans for the router table & top. I also received Oak Park's catalog, from which I purchased those brass setup blocks. Just a few things I would mention. The plans did not specify the location of the router plate and the cost of the table top and table, with shipping seemed a bit high (although other manufactirers are in the same range). I cannot use their router plate, since my guide bushings are the Porter-Cable type. I am definitely going to make my own, after all, since that is what woodworking is all about. I will let you know how I make out.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Joe, just some information to assist you. The Oak Park plate is 11 x 11" square phenolic, guaranteed to not sag. Most other plastics will with the weight of a router attached. The plate is located 3-3/4" from the left edge of the top and centered from front to back. You think the table top is pricey? Remember this is built from premium 3/4' baltic birch plywood. Around here that goes for about $78 a sheet. The laminate required to cover the top and bottom runs about $40 unless you find a great sale. The cut out section for the mounting plate works perfect for bit storage with some 1/4" baltic birch plywood glued to the bottom to act as runners. I think they charge a fair price for what they deliver. You can easily substitute a Rousseau plate instead of the Oak Park mounting plate so you can use PC style guide bushings.

·
2,392 Posts
Mike,

I think you forgot to mention that the top is also predrilled with the holes required (in exactly the right places) for all of the Spacer Jigs, etc. that they sell...

I think that's right... isn't it?

Saves a lot of tinkering around down the road... :)

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Yes Joe, the Oak Park table top is drilled with the 5 locator holes to position the Oak Park jigs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Mike & Joe for your input. I am sorry if I gave the impression that I was being critical over prices. I am sure that the value received is probably worth the time and effort that it took to make it. I am still going to try to make the thing myself, with the help of my son, to whom I just gave a router. Between the two of us the cost will be halved when we build the two tables. I have just completed building a template to cut out the hole in the table top using the router. It is a start. Also the rosseau router plates that I have seen advertised only come as 9 X 12. I wanted to be able to position the router anyway I wanted in the table. I also have aquired 12 X12 sheets of high grade phenolic, courtesy of my son-in-law, so I am on my way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.