Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a new RT with a piece of granite that I aquired freely, and wanted to inquire about the forum's fence experience.

What are the pro's v con's of having a side mounted fence, like with a table saw, versus a fence that has 2 pivot points (slotted or tracked, normal fence arrangement)?

The only experience I have is w/my table that incorporates the TS fence that it's built into...I like it, and don't know when I'd need to have a fence with two adjustment points...

I don't want to cut tracks or slots in the RT top if I don't have too... hopefully this makes sense....:jester:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The Router Workshop guys use C clamps to fix a, (I think it's phenolic) fence to the table and it works fine. They have bunches of propriety fences for pretty much every operation.

Granite would certainly handle clampage.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Marshall

The best fence I have is the swing fence, it has one pivot point most router jobs work well with type of fence,,at times it needs to be clamped back from the bit but that's a easy job from the over hang of the fence..

The swing fence makes it easy to change out the bit, swing it out and pop off the ring and switch it out..

=========

I'm building a new RT with a piece of granite that I aquired freely, and wanted to inquire about the forum's fence experience.

What are the pro's v con's of having a side mounted fence, like with a table saw, versus a fence that has 2 pivot points (slotted or tracked, normal fence arrangement)?

The only experience I have is w/my table that incorporates the TS fence that it's built into...I like it, and don't know when I'd need to have a fence with two adjustment points...

I don't want to cut tracks or slots in the RT top if I don't have too... hopefully this makes sense....:jester:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I've seen Bobs' fence and it really is cool.
You could make a fence as long as the table is wide and use C clamps too.
Anything straight, plumb, and adjustable will work.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have the same table as Bob & I like the adjustment with the pivot. I have never mounted the side clamps to it. I've only used the pivot. Very quick & easy. Can also change out the center zero clearance piece in the middle, just swing it out over the edge of the table & slide one out & the other in.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi James

Here's a small tip you don't need to swing it out over the edge,just slide it back a little bit and then loosen the black knobs on the back side of the fence pop out the old one,pop in the new one and your set to go....this a great tip if you have the Horiz. setup on the same table..

========

I have the same table as Bob & I like the adjustment with the pivot. I have never mounted the side clamps to it. I've only used the pivot. Very quick & easy. Can also change out the center zero clearance piece in the middle, just swing it out over the edge of the table & slide one out & the other in.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi Bob. Are you talking about loosening the split fence & sliding it back a little to get the incert out?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

Yep you got it :)

=======

Hi Bob. Are you talking about loosening the split fence & sliding it back a little to get the incert out?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found this Peachtree design a week ago after looking through about 13 pages of googled "Router Table Fence".

I saw it and printed the picture out for santa clause and left it on the kitchen counter. I've heard a rumor that it'll be under the tree next week!!!!!
I think this PTree fence should be Numero Uno under google searches....!!!!

I've just been racking my brain on mating to a Delta T2 Fence until I decided to ask the obi-wan's on this forum. Leaning towards not worrying about the slider just now, and actually doing some woodworking. This Santa has to get his stuff under the tree too !!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Marshall

The best fence I have is the swing fence, it has one pivot point most router jobs work well with type of fence,,at times it needs to be clamped back from the bit but that's a easy job from the over hang of the fence..

The swing fence makes it easy to change out the bit, swing it out and pop off the ring and switch it out..

=========
Bob,
In this post you're thumbnail shows a fairly beefy piece of aluminum, maybe two pieced together....? Where did you pick up the fence components. I'm getting my granite back this weekend and ready to mount the top to the table. (this is taking forever) I've looked at the Ptree site fence and it's where I'm leaning, but I've had some bad luck with two-piece fences. I'm trying to stay with one piece of aluminum morphodite extrusion if I can find it. The one on your thumbnail looks to be a single piece? Wanted to see if you could share the details.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts