Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

I have been making Through Dovetails and I managed to absolutely bake a Freud 13/32" (Dia.) Double Flute Straight Bit with 1/2" Shank (12-112) for the Pins. For the Tails I was running ~23,000 - 24,000 RPM with the appropriate Bit and the speed of the above mentioned Bit for the Pins was not much different. Wood is Poplar, 11/16" thick. After a dozen or so cuts that Bit was a paperweight.

Obviously I am doing something gravely wrong there. Maybe I am not not moving fast enough or I'm way to high on the RPM's or perhaps both. Circa 2002 - 2008 I was deeply into Routing and never had any issues with Freud Bits albeit I was using a Router Table. These Through DT's are being done on a Porter Cable 4216 Jig.

As always, any input greatly appreciated.

Best,

Lyman

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
My opinion, the router speed is quite OK, the cutter is not sharp, if it was then it would not be burning, a sharp cutter wont burn, so how much has it been used since it was sharpened? N

·
Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Neville. It was brand new and lasted about a dozen cuts and was then very dull. I sent it back to Amazon for an exchange. Haven't used the exchange yet, wanted some opinions as to what might be going on.
Best,
Lyman

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Thanks Neville. It was brand new and lasted about a dozen cuts and was then very dull. I sent it back to Amazon for an exchange. Haven't used the exchange yet, wanted some opinions as to what might be going on.
Best,
Lyman
If it was new then I would buy cutters from a different source, what did it cost? There is no substitute for quality cutters, with cutters you definitely get what you pay for. There are so many great brands to chose from, so what was it? N

·
Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a Freud 13/32" (Dia.) Double Flute Straight Bit with 1/2" Shank (12-112). I've never had issues with Freud before. I also have Whiteside but haven't tried those yet.

Thanks again,
Lyman

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
It was a Freud 13/32" (Dia.) Double Flute Straight Bit with 1/2" Shank (12-112). I've never had issues with Freud before. I also have Whiteside but haven't tried those yet.

Thanks again,
Lyman

Seeing its a quality name brand then you must have overloaded it, if it was burned out then that's overheating it. N

·
Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RPM too high at 23,000 - 24,000?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I don't have the definitive answer but as others have mentioned too high on the rpm's is part of the cause. Something to consider is 3/4" is a chunk for a router to take in one bite. If the bit is spinning too fast and is moving too slow through the wood it will overheat the bit. I would try the rpm's in the 12 to 15 thousand range with a smooth push through the poplar.

Also keep an ear out to the sound of the bit. Similar to a table saw blade, you can hear when its cutting right or wrong. (sometimes)

·
Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have the definitive answer but as others have mentioned too high on the rpm's is part of the cause. Something to consider is 3/4" is a chunk for a router to take in one bite. If the bit is spinning too fast and is moving too slow through the wood it will overheat the bit. I would try the rpm's in the 12 to 15 thousand range with a smooth push through the poplar.

Also keep an ear out to the sound of the bit. Similar to a table saw blade, you can hear when its cutting right or wrong. (sometimes)
Thanks Marco. The Bit is carefully being worked into the wood so it's not taking 3/4" in one bite. That said, it may be a combination of too high of an RPM combined with not moving fast enough. I've never run into this before. In fact come to think of it I have never cooked a Bit like this either handheld as I am doing now on the PC 4216 DT Jig or in a router table in days gone by.

A drawback to the Bosch 1617EVS Router is that speed settings are on a scale of 1 - 6 and not linear. A setting of 6 will yield 25,000 RPM, a setting of 3 is 16,500 RPM. Please see attached photograph from Manual.

Will try 16.5K and see how that works.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Best,
Lyman
Font Material property Number Parallel Circle

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I have the 4216 and have cut 3/4" poplar with out burning so it's likely the rpm's. I've never had a problem with a new Freud bit being dull so ruled it out for that reason. Not on the DT jig but I have burned up 2 bits, a cheap MLCS straight bit out of their starter box and a Rockler T-track bit. Both had a bad operator.

·
Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the 4216 and have cut 3/4" poplar with out burning so it's likely the rpm's. I've never had a problem with a new Freud bit being dull so ruled it out for that reason. Not on the DT jig but I have burned up 2 bits, a cheap MLCS straight bit out of their starter box and a Rockler T-track bit. Both had a bad operator.
I'll drop the RPM and get back as to how it goes. May be a few days though.....wrapping up for Winter (Ugh) outside the house.

Thanks again!
Lyman

·
Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wrapping up for winter? What's that? I'm still cutting grass, and it won't stop growing.
Lay down a 4" layer of cement.....
All of us still have very large trees that are still full of bright green leaves. 20 years ago these would have been on the ground by now. These won't start falling until late November or early December which means they are going to sit there until Spring.

I hate Winter. :mad: 65 too many of them!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.