Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I guess my first issue would be how you measured the runout...... I hope you are not doing this with a router bit in place and the router running.....

I don't know how the "offical" way of measuring is done but I can tell you what I do.

Static testing is normal the safest way to do this. I have a steel shaft that is designed for use in a drill press or router to mark the center of where the drill/router is. I also use it to check wear. I test at 5 spots around the base to make sure I'm getting a good reading, and I rotate the "bit" at least 3 times ( loosen then twist retighten). I make sure the indicator is giving a value as I rotate the shaft I see what the range is. The min. might read 5 and max 10 (thus the runout is 5). I then force a block of wood into the "bit" 180 degrees away and do the same rotation. I index around and repeat the tests. Some times you don't have to go very far as the bearings are worn and you get readings that very a lot.

Bit are in the range of +/- .002 to .008 but any single bit should be off by more then half of that ie + the range or - the range. The total of the router and bit should be maybe .009 or .010. You can not use the bearing of a bit to do the measurements they will indicate higher numbers. You also must measure close to the collet nut as if you measure further up the shaft the numbers will also be larger.

This is not offical but what I do to keep track of wear.

A bent motor shaft would most likly vibrate a lot and I think you would feel that buzz. I would look to the collet assembly for a burr or dirt on a new router, something that would keep the bit from tighnening in the center.

I would also think about the bit as a possible problem some times they are not very well made....... or may have gotten damaged in shipment or dropped at the store before you purchased it.

If you are feeling a lot of vibration then things are wrong and you should not be using the router or bit until you know what is going on.

I have no specifications but I know that all of my routers have a run out of less then .006.

Ed

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hi again,

I have heard of people trying to use a bit in a running router and just want to make sure that was not what you were doing..... thanks for being safety minded.

The measurement at the bearing while it sounds like a good idea adds the tolarance of the bit and bearing into the picture and will not tell you how good or bad the router is.

To find if the collet and or other parts above that are "off" you need to mark the shaft at the high and low points then loosen the collet and rotate things 1/3 turn or so and see if the high and low spots are in the same place... repeat and see if those spots move. If you see movement then it points to something above or inside the collet area. If you see no movement then you are looking at the runout of the router motor/shaft.

You might try contacting the manufacture and see if they will tell you what the runout should be on a new router. My guess is that it could be as much as .008 or so, measured at the shaft.

If you happen to have a 1/2" drill bit that might be a easy way have an accurate shaft to measure to.... drill bits are normal right on the money, that being less then .001 off size. The "adapter" can be used with a 1/4" drill bit.......

If you do take the dial indicator to the store and find one that is "better" let us know what you found. It would be interesting to see what other routers have for runout.... they don't list that on the "features" list now do they????

Ed

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I remember truing or what ever it is called my bike tires using this sort of method. You held a stick near the rim and against the frame and found the spot where it was bent then adjusted the spokes to fix it..... to bad the router and bits don't work that way.

Now take the bearing off the bit and see if that is what is wrong..... I had a Whiteside bit that they forgot the washer on and screw got to mess with the race of the bearing.... If it just the bearing you can buy new ones and keep using the bit. The bearings are a week part on some bits and need to be replaced from time to time. That is one reason to use a table and fence with the bearing not being used (isolate the bearing).

I'm sorry I questioned the running bit but people do some odd things...... just didn't want you to have to change your name to lefty or????

Just remember even if the router reads no runout now it will in the future so if you use it a lot check it again in a year or so.....

Thanks for the follow up.

ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.