Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About this time last year, I bought a Rockler table at the traveling Wood Worker's show. Not long after that I started watching Bob and Rick. I finally placed an order with their company and got the Box Joint Jig set. These match holes pre-drilled in their own table. Has anyone adapted these to any other type table? I am hesitant to drill my table but want to be able to use these fixtures on a regular basis. If you supply a picture, I would like that. -Derek

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
Fibertech

Duck soup, just use the brass setup bars to line up the jigs and then clamp them down and drill away, the only one that maybe off by just a bit is the 3/8" jig if you want to use it for the dovetail joint, I just made a slot hole for that one hole (1/2" long) it's on the right end of my table but if you use the Bob & Ricks way it's the in the back
( next to you) but just that one hole.

Bj :)

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
Just a Note

If you don't have the brass setup bars you can use Key Stock that you can get from ACE Hardware or Home Depot ,they are 12" long and zinc plated.
I use them all the time but you must take care with them because they are steel and can damage your bits if you don't.
I also have a brass set from MLCS that are 1/8" to 1/2" and 4" long

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/routacc1.html
$17.95/$22.95

·
Registered
23,784 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first thing out of the box were the measuring bars. I also bought the modified C clamps. My question Bob is: using a 1/4" straight bit, I use the 1/4" measuring bar for the space between the guide and the bit, correct? And so on... please explain the spacing for using a dovetail bit. Before I drill into the table top, I want to be certain. Thanks. -Derek

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
Derek
"correct?" = Yes
I used a 1/4" forrest bit for the two holes in my top.

The link below will help you set up for the dove tails.

Save this pages to your HD, it's a great how to or you can print it out and keep it in a folder by your router like I do when I need to refrest my head for the box joints etc.
It's hard to keep them all in your head and recall them when you need to do it right from the get go.
A picture or two is worth a 1000 words in this case.

http://www.routerworkshop.com/boxjoints.html

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob,
I will go through those instructions before I drill my table top. I had seen them before but now that I have everything needed, I will play with fitting and adjustments. Thanks for the help. -Derek

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
You're Welcome Derek

Note*** you may not want to drill a hole for the dovetail setup it's one of the items you will not use to offen.
It's make to hook up boards to the other Not a dovetail for box joints.(not corners)
end to end or side by side joint.
Bob and Rick make a box that had a staircase dovetails up the side of the box but that's the only time I have seen them use that joint.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again Bob for the clarification. I work nights for a major wireless carrier and my weekends are when everyone else is working. I can get a lot done. I can't wait to get proficient on Box Joints. I will learn true dovetails with my dovetail jig. -Derek

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.