Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that they are sold but wondering about the safety of adding a lock collar and bearing to a 1/2 spiral bit for pattern finishing. I also would be worried about having that much less of the shaft to put into the collet. The spiral bits sold with bearings are mucho $$$. Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I see that they are sold but wondering about the safety of adding a lock collar and bearing to a 1/2 spiral bit for pattern finishing. I also would be worried about having that much less of the shaft to put into the collet. The spiral bits sold with bearings are mucho $$$. Thanks, Tom
how much shaft are you inserting into the collet now???
adding a bearing is safe as long as all the components fit...

why not use a helix bit???
https://www.freudtools.com/search?h=1
they give/do a very clean top edge and w/ the pattern clamped onto the bottom you get a clean bottom edge also...
the pattern behaves as a backer board...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I'm with Doug on this...a 1/2" ID bearing will give you 3/4" OD on the bearing surface. Depending on what you're doing with it, it could require you to use a big bit.

Guide bushings will allow you to use a smaller diameter bit.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'm with Doug on this...a 1/2" ID bearing will give you 3/4" OD on the bearing surface. Depending on what you're doing with it, it could require you to use a big bit.

Guide bushings will allow you to use a smaller diameter bit.
still, pattern and finished product will be off set requiting a smaller pattern...
use the Helix and existing pattern...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Generally when a bearing is on a straight bit it matches the O.D. of the bit. Yours wouldn't do that so it depends on what you are doing whether that is workable or not.

Reactions: Nickp

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.