Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is gloating allowed? I picked up the VS Colt at home depot for $109, and I have to tell somebody who can appreciate it. :ph34r:

Granted, my "stable" is pretty small by RF standards, having only four, but the Colt will be very handy for smaller jobs.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
You're going to like the control that router gives you on jobs like edge treatment. When I use mine it feels about as close to the wood as you can get with power tools... does a great job too! :)

Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Mark.. you're gonna like that lil fella!!! I just used mine to inlay a kreg plate into the backside of my RT and it worked beautifully.. Handled well...nice and steady, doesn't want to torque out of your hands. Didn't break a sweat hogging out mdf...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hopefully it came with a nut and collet!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully it came with a nut and collet!!!!!
Yes, I guess I was lucky in that respect!

It is a nice little router, even better than I had... envisioned? I really don't lie about envisioning routers, but this admittedly has a lot of draw even as a trim router is concerned! :lol:

I have the original M12V, and a DW618 kit, but prior to the Colt my only 1hp router was a circa 1980-ish Craftsman, which is BIGGER than the 618. It has the rack and pinion depth adjuster, as rings were not yet adopted by Sears. No speed control, soft start, or fries with that, either. However, it still runs fast and true, so I keep it. When I have to rout something that might ruin a router, I grab the old craftsman. Keeps on ticking.

It's really nice to have a 1hp router the size of a 12oz can, and it is so smooth running. The cord is nice and long, and also has very little memory, so it's really user-friendly in subtle ways like that.

My only other Bosch tool is their swiss-made jigsaw, which caused me to rethink jigsaws entirely. Used to be the tool I'd use when absolutely nothing else would work, as a last resort. Not so anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts