Router Forums banner

Adjustable height bench and bobbin winder

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  oldhudson49 
#1 ·
My sweetie has been a weaver for 40 plus years. Recently at a estate sale she picked up an 8 harness loom to replace her 4 harness loom. And she picked up a broken bobbin winder. I built a new bench and re-built the bobbin winder. The bench is all cherry except for the stretcher, didn't have a large enough piece of stock, so I used a construction grade 2 x 4. It's pretty clear looking at the grain that it's not cherry but the color came out okay. It was my first tusked mortise and tenon.

Furniture Table Wood Outdoor bench Outdoor furniture

Wood Window Interior design Flooring Floor

The winder (first pic how we got it and second pic my re-build) had a motor and foot switch but was missing pieces. I made it a spring tension unit.

Table Wood Workbench Automotive exterior Handheld power drill

Wood Flooring Gas Hardwood Room

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a great project. Lots of husband point too. Question, is the bobbin the thing that shuttles back and forth between the rows of threads? Very clever how you set the end piece on the winder on two rods so you could adjust width. Elegantly simple, a sign of brilliance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.