Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all!

Because Necessity in the Mother of Invention, I had to devise this edge guide and it has worked very well for me. That said, here it is, how I made it and the gear required to put it together.

Table Wood Kitchen appliance Gas Machine

This image shows the guide with trim router in use. (The yellow rag is not being harmed by the router bit. It's just laying in the jewelry box cavity. Looks weird, I know.)

Textile Loom Rectangle Art Creative arts

Here's another angle showing the guide and the belt clamp this holds it in place.

Wood Fixture Composite material Gas Tool

The guide is made of 3/4-inch melamine. I drilled and inserted 1/4-20 quick connect inserts. The drill press is used to insert these inserts.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Gas

Here is another view of the a connect insert installed and not. Note the rounded bolt head.

Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

This image shows the rounded bolt head and the t-slot track. The bolt head must be rounded to make it adjustable.

Cutting mat Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain

This image shows a 1/4-inch brass spacer being used to 'zero' the guide. This is done on both ends so that adjustment depth will be uniform on both ends of the guide.

Also note the double-nutted bolt. This is installed to prevent the t-track from sliding along with the router and potentially sliding out of the bolt head.

Another thing to note is the notch in the melamine. The belt of the clamp fits in this notch. The notch should match the edge of your work piece. The high friction tape is placed along the notch which is the point of highest pressure exerted by the belt clamp.

Red Line Font Rectangle Musical instrument

This image better depicts what I was saying above. I originally ran the high friction tape parallel to the guide, but placing it perpendicular to the guide - along the edge as shown above - works just as well if not better because the belt pressure is greatest at the outer edges of the guide.

Cutting mat Rectangle Wood Table Font

And here is the underbelly of the guide.

This guide is not difficult to fabricate, but it would be best IMO to match the guide to your workpiece. In my case, I required two because of the shape of the rectangular jewelry box it was used on.

The way I used this guide is as follows: I set up the guide so my router bit just touches the work piece at both ends of your cut. I make certain that the depth of the bit does not exceed your final depth. Making sure that the guide is secure on the workpiece, I make my first cut.

I prefer to allow appropriately 1/16-inch to remain depth wise. I concentrate my remaining cuts into the box edge stopping just shy of the final inward goal.

Note. Because I am removing the edge from a veneered jewelry box, I score the veneer before I begin removing the edge. This prevents ripping the veneer as the edge is routed. So I am routing towards these scored lines, on both edges.

Impatience is Mr. Murphy's welcome mat
If you are not routing correctly - left to right - on a facing outer edge and you are taking a larger than necessary bite out of your work piece - trying to save time, do not be alarmed when the bit digs in and moves your guide. Do you hear Mr. Murphy giggling in the background? Right!

However, if you are not doing delicate work, then indeed, proceed however you wish.

The obvious goal is to have all of your routing meet the scrored lines. Routing in this case, saves a lot of time, but it can be perilous if you are not careful. Forewarned is forearmed.

One last thing: I place low-friction tape on my router sub-base. This is a huge improvement over just running the plastic base over your workpiece.

I hope this makes a bit of sense to those who may need a guide of this sort. If my explanation was not clear, let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I neglected to make clear that the T-slot track is adjusted by turning the threaded end of the 1/4-20 bolt. This is why the bolt heads have to be rounded, otherwise it will would not be possible to turn the bolt in the T-slot track.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts