Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is trying to build himself a small drafting style table and, for the life of both of us, we cannot find an official name for the adjustable tilt hardware. You've seen it before, its a compression type with a bracket that has a curved channel it in with an accompanying bracket housing a screw hole for a knob with a threaded screw post on it. You loosen the knob or knobs, adjust, and tighten them back up to hold everything in place. They are practically everywhere!

Does anyone know the official name for these brackets and where we can find some? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Mike
3,841 Posts
You are probably looking for an adjustable trunion mount. I don't know if they still make them anymore. The drafting tables I have seen made in the last 5 or 6 years they hinged the top at the front and used a sliding rod or slotted arm for angle adjustment.

·
Premium Member
20,455 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive.

Searches:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Heavy+Duty+Table+Tilt+Mechanism&FORM=IDINTS

Mechanism pix below: https://www.hardwaresource.com/hing...m=Th4580909039632560&utm_content=All Products

Websites will show up in the image search.

The second picture is a pre-made table. Crank adjustable. Cut the mechanism off and install it on the table?

A few other pieces I found in searches for table tilt mechanism. Make something like the metal one (pix 3) with plywood, with a knob on the end to lock it in position. Attach the quarter circles to the bottom of the table top and affix the lock mechanism to the base or post. The one made of wood (pix 4) is part of a tilting router mount with a raising and lowering crank. Something using that tilt mechanism only would work well.

Pictures 5 and 6 are pretty much ratched devices from the search above. Use the image view to pick and choose one that works for you.

You could search for a used art or drafting table online and swipe the mechanism from it. Some of that hardware is around, but a search in your region would be necessary.

Geeze, I wish someone around this joint would fix it so the pictures line up in the order you dropped them in. Sorry, but you folks will figure it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Wow, all this modern stuff. Last time I saw a drafting table was probably 1979, and not near as fancy as all those. A whole lot simpler, but worked just as well. Actually, once the were angled, they were never moved again, so can't really see the need for all the fancy (expensive) hardware. If I were making one I'd just drill holes on each side, and bolt them in place. Then if I ever wanted to adjust it, drill new holes. move it, bolt it.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Wow, all this modern stuff. Last time I saw a drafting table was probably 1979, and not near as fancy as all those. A whole lot simpler, but worked just as well. Actually, once the were angled, they were never moved again, so can't really see the need for all the fancy (expensive) hardware. If I were making one I'd just drill holes on each side, and bolt them in place. Then if I ever wanted to adjust it, drill new holes. move it, bolt it.
When my daughter started her university architecture programme I bought her a used drafting table. A big beast that was on an enormous pedestal and adjusted hydraulically. By her third year she decided to board out closer to school so I sold it. It took me ages to sell. No one wants them anymore. They've all moved on. I was lucky to get rid of it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
28 years ago I built a really nice drafting table.
3 months later I bought a PC and CAD program, and never used it again. :)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
That's fine for one person but others would likely find the angle not to their liking. and then yet that same person may have circumstances that require a different angle. If you're going to make something like this why not make it adjustable? It's planning for the unknowable upcoming uses. Makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
That's fine for one person but others would likely find the angle not to their liking. and then yet that same person may have circumstances that require a different angle. If you're going to make something like this why not make it adjustable? It's planning for the unknowable upcoming uses. Makes perfect sense.
It would be adjustable, totally adjustable. Just reread the last two sentences, and that covers complete adjustability.
"If I were making one I'd just drill holes on each side, and bolt them in place. Then if I ever wanted to adjust it, drill new holes. move it, bolt it."

K.I.S.S. principle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The wooden ones seem to best fit what it was he was looking for, according to his description. Odd that they cannot be found as readily available metal hardware, since they seem to be used in so many applications. I have sent him a link to this post. Hopefully he can find what it is he is looking for, but I may have to make him some wooden ones if that's what he really wants!

Hrm, I guess I don't quite understand how this "reply" system works, but my response was to DesertRatTom's post with the images, and what looks like a custom router table.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
The wooden ones seem to best fit what it was he was looking for, according to his description.
The American Woodworker, May or Jun 1991 issue, has a neat all wood drafting table plans. Adjustable, nothing the normal guy wouldn't have in his shop. Not been able to track down the plans, didn't try that hard either. LOL Do a search and you can likely find the plans. If I didn't design my own, those are the plans I would shoot for if I wanted a design table. Actually, I'm not sure it is made with any metal at all, just wood.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
It would be adjustable, totally adjustable. Just reread the last two sentences, and that covers complete adjustability.
"If I were making one I'd just drill holes on each side, and bolt them in place. Then if I ever wanted to adjust it, drill new holes. move it, bolt it."

K.I.S.S. principle.
Not to be disagreeable, but I am, it isn't what the poster was asking about. He wanted the hardware or a good source. And installing the hardware has to be easier than redrilling the table anytime you want a change);

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I had drafting tables that had a rotating knob with a thumbscrew. The table itself had a rod that would pivot so it wouldn't bind in the rotating knob. This was in the days of pencils, T-squares triangles, etc.; 1964 to be exact.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Not to be disagreeable, but I am, it isn't what the poster was asking about. He wanted the hardware or a good source. And installing the hardware has to be easier than redrilling the table anytime you want a change);
Yeah, that's why I prefer to design my own stuff. Work from plans and you're pretty much stuck with whatever the designer came up with.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Yeah, that's why I prefer to design my own stuff. Work from plans and you're pretty much stuck with whatever the designer came up with.
Of most all the plans I've ever used, including the house we now live in, I have made it my own. In the case of the house I used the basic design, flipped rooms, put the garage on the opposite end, and changed dimensions of some rooms also changing window styles and sizes. For me a plan is a basic design but a guideline that can be customized to what you want. I've taken several plans and used parts of each to come up with what I want or need. Never look at a plan as the only way but rather a guide and starting point. Just saying.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts